Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl:home dropping connection

• 09-08-2006 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a ntl:home cable modem, which appears to have started dropping the connection when I have edonkey or a torrent program running.

The modem is connected direct via cable, I've changed cables & tried the connection on my laptop as well, with the same result - only disconnects when p2p running. Is this a new thing from NTL? Has anyone else any experience or solutions?

Thanks in advance,

SH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Hi All,

I have a ntl:home cable modem, which appears to have started dropping the connection when I have edonkey or a torrent program running.

The modem is connected direct via cable, I've changed cables & tried the connection on my laptop as well, with the same result - only disconnects when p2p running. Is this a new thing from NTL? Has anyone else any experience or solutions?

Thanks in advance,

SH

It's probably to do with the "upgrade". Check this thread out: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054968972

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

SH

Do you have an older modem? (I think a "100"?) I was having the same problem a while back, and upgrading to the latest helped. Though as someone else mentioned, your problem could be upgrade-related.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have a new modem and these last couple of days I experienced connection drops too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I noticed something similar when using bittorrent previously. Check out what your upload settings are also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

What I have discovered when using Bit torrent, After having a technician out twice too, Not knowing what the issues was either. It all resulted to the Filter on the cable connection, The technicians put the filter on wrong, 3 times now! All I did was switch them around to how it should be and I have never lost Sync ones / Dc'ed. Previously I use to loose sync alot especially when downloading but once I sorted the filter out I have never ONCE lost connection, So i'd advice look at you're filter, Switch the cable around. You wouldnt even think the filter causes this but It caused me hell for 5 months.

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

HungryJoey wrote:
    What I have discovered when using Bit torrent, After having a technician out twice too, Not knowing what the issues was either. It all resulted to the Filter on the cable connection, The technicians put the filter on wrong, 3 times now! All I did was switch them around to how it should be and I have never lost Sync ones / Dc'ed. Previously I use to loose sync alot especially when downloading but once I sorted the filter out I have never ONCE lost connection, So i'd advice look at you're filter, Switch the cable around. You wouldnt even think the filter causes this but It caused me hell for 5 months.

Hj

What filter are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

What filter are you talking about?

A very good question!

thanks to everyone for their help - I had checked upload options, I had changed nothing in the recent past, so I guess it has to do with NTL upgrade. I'll fire an email of to them & see what happens.

Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Don't go near NTL support, The best they ever can do is send out a technician in a weeks time. And even the results of that IMO were useless.

I am talking about the splitter on the line you're TV and Broadband modem.
    There is a main line comes in, On that there is a noise filter / splitter.. This splitter has then 2 outputs, One for the NTL box and one for the TV. And NTL from what I have seen, Connected this up wrog for me twice. Wrong as in put the NTL cable modem on the wrong output.

I'll upload an image now of what it should be like.

image13682fc0.th.jpg Thats how I hooked mine up in the end. Rough image to describe it. Havnt once dropped connection since I have done that. ( few months ago )

Hj

Advertisement