Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hours of sleep per night?

• 09-08-2006 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

So, how many hours of sleep to you people get each night, on average?

I'm usually quite late getting to bed myself, but also quite late getting up. On average I'd say it's something like 4 or 5am to 2 or 3pm.. so that's a decent 10 hours sleep.

Terrible sleeping pattern, I know. I'm forever trying to get it right but I often find myself working (I work from home) or just surfing the 'net late into the night.

How much sleep do you get each night? 101 votes

4 hours or less
    0% 0 votes
    5 to 7 hours
    7% 8 votes
    8 hours (the recommended amount, iirc)
    55% 56 votes
    9 to 11 hours
    19% 20 votes
    12 hours or more
    16% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I normally get about 6-8 hours depending on what shift I'm on. Any more and I feel like crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I have an absolutely terrible sleeping pattern. I usually get around 4 hours a night as I'll be awake until all hours.

Can't seem to get out of it though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Typical :D. You know, as mods of this forum we should probably be setting good examples or something ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My sleeping pattern is chaos. Some nights 4, others 5, and still others 6, all varied and mixed up. Often broken up 2 + 3 and so forth. It's good I am single. I would drive a regular guy crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Aidan78

I normally try to get 6 hours per night, but more often than not, it has been 4 or 5. If I'm staying in a strange place, like a hotel, I'm lucky if I manage 3. For whatever reason, I can't seem to sleep very well in a place I'm not familiar with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

about 7-8 hours, any less im screwed for the next day. I find if i'v a lot on my mind I get less sleep, or have been out the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

About 8 for me, maybe a bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Usually 6-8 hours sleep, but for periods of time I get little enough sleep, bordering on 3-4 hours a night.

Blue:too bad you're single:( :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

G/f's can sometimes be the source of irregular sleeping hours for their b/f's? I know I am for mine.:p*

*Demetrius: Well, I am kinda single, given that my b/f is back in Ireland and I won't cheat on him. So I get even by keeping him up with the 8 hour time zone difference.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Diarmiud

G/f's can sometimes be the source of irregular sleeping hours for their b/f's?

SIZE]:D

Quoted for truth.

Little enough sleep these days. Around 6 hours at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'm in bed for anywhere between 5-10hrs. I seem to wake very frequently, so ...None of those options really apply.

Diarmiud wrote:
    Quoted for truth.

Little enough sleep these days. Around 6 hours at the moment.

Will get even less sleep tonight, changing my average, if I had one. Work from work! Does that mean home Work?

Oh, Diarmiud put the "SIZE" word in my post. Ha! Now why would he do that? Well, don't lose any sleep over it thinking about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

My sleeping patterns are fucked, I hardly ever get enough. I have brief periods where it evens out, then my life goes, yet again, up shit's creek and it reverts to its usual pattern of about 6 hours a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Wow! I'm surprised to see I'm with the majority here!
    I usually pride myself in being in the smaller percentage of polls. So all you all get some more sleep, okay?:p

there just aren't enough hours in a day. I like to have my "Alone time" which happens very early and very late. So I give up an hour or two of sleep for that.

L4L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I should actually go to bed at the same time every night and of course that never happens. I finally get around to going to bed and then hear the squawking outside. *shakes fist*. Last night I got around 4 hours which was the best sleep I have had in a long time. Stupid brain full of issues. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Ah well

once im a photographer, ill make me own rules, and catch up on me sleep

I've lost ROUGHLY 152 Days of sleep in the last 5 years! Its crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I get about 7 and a half every night. if I don't I just can't function throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Usually between three and five for me.
    Luckily I can survive on very little sleep, so although I'm often tired, I can still manage to just plough on with my day regardless. I can go a day or two with no sleep at all if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Five on average... I sometimes make up for it on weekends though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I try to average 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I usually get about 9-11. But I could go over 12 on the weekends. Whether I've had a late night before or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

I only got like 2 hours sleep last night

aprently im over tired

im always wrecked, but can never sleep. And no matter wha i always end up not goin t bed til like 2am. i need t be more persistent

Also, im kinda afraid of the dark :P

I jus hear all random spooky seisse [breathing noise, clicky Monitor, stuff movin]

Also, i work Mon-Fr 9-5 so only get the chance of 2 lie-ins a week

ill need a week of t just sleep

Rough calculation - Ive lost like 125 Days of sleep in the last 5 years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I would say between 6 to 8 hours depends on what time I go to bed as I am usually up at 6.30 or 7.00 with kids anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I sleep a few hours a night, various reasons.
    All last summer I only got two hours a night. Bad times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Usually, Ill get 4-8 sleep time, somtimes less, somtimes more.
    My sleep pattern is VERY screwed up though, and personally I think thats worse.

Usually Im going to sleep about 6-7am and waking up about 3-4pm.
    Its 7am now, and Ive been up since 11pm, problem is, I went to bed at 3pm.

Going to sleep in daylight and being awake cant be good I know, somhow I have managed to reset my body clock from time to time. I manage to keep it good for a few days, then I'm back to vampire-hours, its rare. :(

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I normally sleep about 8 a night, or so I try to do. It's sometimes more, sometimes less. For instance, last night I got 13 hours sleep. Hadn't had a decent night in a week, drink every night and just last night I was at <snip> :D:D:D 6 1/2 hours of standing and jumping straight...That takes it out of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually 6 hours - but every now and then I have a 12 hour sleep which leaves me wrecked the next day.

The worst is those 3 hour sleeps and waking with a hangover form hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ive always slept for really long times. ie im the only guy at the moment that has clicked 12 hours plus. no matter what time i go to sleep i always sleep for about 12 hours unless i set an alarm.

I was in a really good sleeping habbit there a few months back all due to moving to australia. The time change and jet lag really ****ed my sleeping up but for the better.

For about 3 weeks i was going to bed around 11pm and getting up bright and early at about 7-8am and full of beans. Got so much done with my days but ive gradually slipped back into my 4am going to sleep and getting up at 2pm pattern.

As an example its 6am now. Like FFS. What the hell am i doing typing this BS at this time of the morning. I should have had at least 5 hours sleep at this stage.

Right time to hit the hay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

7 hours puts me right, any less and I feel slightly tired for the day. 8 hours and I feel right as rain. :)

My wife's pregnant at the moment, so she's moving a lot...that's has reduced the quality of my sleep considerably (so I tend to need more). I don't care though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Ditto to a tee. I work hard and sleep hard so to speak. Nothing like being panned out to send you to Zedland. When I was young and unemployed I slept far more hours and felt worse for it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lizzy_beth

As many as possible! I love my bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

well on a school night(without my parents knowing) I go to bed around 4am, get up at 7:30am.
    If its a weekend, I'll go to bed around 5am and get up at about 2pm the next day.

Then I spend thw whole day on my laptop on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Normally I'd get an average of 8 hours, but it really depends on my hours at work ect. If somethings bugging me and it's causing me to worry, I'd get about an hours sleep, and then if I try to go back to sleep I'll keep waking up. So then I go downstairs and take a sleeping tablet. Luckily it doesn't happen that often as I don't tend to freak out. If there's no reason to get up..I don't:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i want a "not enough" option on the poll :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I try to aim for 8 but usuall works out between 5 and 7, actually if I sleep for 8 or beyond I just feel more tired when I get up where as I feel refreshed with about 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

At least 7...it's a very, very rare night if the light goes out after midnight and the alarm goes off at 7. Generally sleep through too. If I do get woken up, then it doesn't take long to drop off again.
    Stoll don't feel really fresh in the morning though :confused:
    At weekends, it's about 10-12 hours.

Del

Advertisement