Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swift: Browser for Windows based on Apple Webkit Rendering Engine

• 09-08-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭

There is a browser that has literally just begun production called Swift. I haven't installed it yet, but I have read that it really is an alpha release with no scoll-wheel support, poor form controls etc. The project does however offer hope to Windows developers who want to test their site in Safari but don't have a Mac and don't want to wait for sites like BrowserCam to render their page for them every time they make a change. I know I'll be keeping an eye on this over the next few months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Serbian wrote:
    The project does however offer hope to Windows developers who want to test their site in Safari but don't have a Mac
    Indeed.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, cheers.

Is Safari's rendering engine open source? or are they going to be charging for this browser or what?

Also, isn't Safari based on Konqueror's (the KDE web browser) rendering engine? how does that compare to what you see in Safari?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Goodshape wrote:
    Also, isn't Safari based on Konqueror's (the KDE web browser) rendering engine? how does that compare to what you see in Safari?

The browser is going to be free, it's an Open Source project. I think it's probably too early to say how close Safari & Swift will be, but I know that the fonts and form controls will certainly be different as they are dependant on the OS rather than the browser. I'll try and take a few screenshots of sites with the two later on today if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

On the basis of above, I downloaded it. It is certainly Alpha [i.e. very basic].

Interesting to see how it renders sites. Most of mine are OK, but one or two come up with problems!

I'll be keeping an eye on it..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

richardo wrote:
    t is certainly Alpha [i.e. very basic].

haha yeah, it can't handle drop-down menus yet and the scrollwheel doesn't work with it. Ironically, the navigaion at the top of Apple.com breaks in the Swift browser.

Advertisement