Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting multiple audio sources to a single mini-system

• 09-08-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I want to connect multiple devices (my PC and my TV) to my living room stereo system via the Aux input on the stereo system.

I have two questions:

1. Can I just connect the line-out of both sources directly to the stero Aux input?

2. I'm thinking of using Cat 5 cabling to connect my PC and TV to the Stereo... what is the maximum length I could get away with? Is this the best way of doing it?

I'm dealing with stereo signals in all cases.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

To answer both your questions....

1. Yes. Use one of these
    2. Don't bother, there would be nothing to be gained really. Just use long versions of these to go from TV/PC to the stereo... You'll pick em up in Maplins/Peats/DID/Power City, wherever

Note: If you use the adaptor mentioned for number one you could play both sources (TV & PC) at the same time and hear them both at the same time (if you were so inclined); as an alternative you could also use this instead.

HTH

S,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

yes phono leads are perfect.. do NOT use cat 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks for that guys.

I was thinking of routing the wiring from the PC through the wall, up to the ceiling and back down again. What is the maximum length that I could get away with?

Thanks again,

Di11on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

di11on wrote:
    Thanks for that guys.

I was thinking of routing the wiring from the PC through the wall, up to the ceiling and back down again. What is the maximum length that I could get away with?

Thanks again,

Di11on

Shouldn't be a problem with distance..trouble willbe in getting the leads that long . get good quality leads and couplers......or you can always make your own phono leads to suit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Spocker wrote:

1. Yes. Use one of these

Ive actually been looking for a way to do this for a while, why didnt I think of one of those adapteres? thanks :D

• Advertisement

God bless the Internet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Sorry lads but indulge me for a moment , this is probably being too pedantic but just in case ,

With these ,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29192&criteria=Phono&doy=9m8

To connect the PC and TV you will need two of these , and not one , right ?
    Because what you will be doing is using one of them to connect the left channels of the PC and TV together and the other to connect the right channels of the PC and TV together and then both lefts go to the left aux in and both rights go to the right aux in !! Correct ??

Just saying because I could easily see the above posts being misread and someone shorting the output of the PC or TV with one of those RCA joiners !!

Anyway , hope this helps

mathias wrote:
    To connect the PC and TV you will need two of these , and not one , right ?
    Because what you will be doing is using one of them to connect the left channels of the PC and TV together and the other to connect the right channels of the PC and TV together and then both lefts go to the left aux in and both rights go to the right aux in !! Correct ??

Correct ;)

Advertisement