Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know any locksmiths?

Options
  • 09-08-2006 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Any help would be appreciated with this one…..

My porch door lock is snookered…. It locks fine, but takes about 30-40mins to unlock it.
    When turning the key to unlock it, it feels like its not grabbing /clicking with something, so it just keeps turning & turning. Eventually it works, but I’m afraid that it won’t work at all one of these days + I think some of my post has been stolen! So I decided I need to call a locksmith.

I rang around & it seems like there’s a call out cost of €70 which includes the repair – cost can increase depending on what parts need to be replaced?

Does this cost sound about right to you?
    Any recommendations on a locksmith for North Dublin (D13)

Lennox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

If you can use a screwdriver you should be able to replace the lock yourself. Head over to woodies, or B&Q and buy the lock yourself.

I don't personally know any locksmiths, but watched a video on lock 'bumping' the other day. Based on that you'd be as safe, leaving the door unlocked anyway.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

Cheers Howard,

I had a look at it the other day. Looks like I'd have to take the actual porch door apart.... I didn't want to do this incase I bust something, but I guess this is the only way to learn.
    Will have another look at it when I get home & way up the options of taking the door apart myself versus getting a Pro to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A quick look at http://www.goldenpages.ie gives the following Locksmith near you:

Dublin Key & Hardware Co
    115 Malahide rd 5 Dublin T (01)8328739
    M (087)2743629

Let your fingers do the walking...;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There are quite a few different locks that can be used, yours might be a cylinder lock, but if you can post a few pics i'm sure we could tell you if its a dIY job or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Unless it's a very old door the lock should be the same, if smaller,that is used in upvc doors, they are very simple to change, baiscally one long screw.You may need to remove a handle to get the lock in and out.Lock smiths inmo are a rip off on call out charges plus they use a lock they supply which may be over priced also. I usually pick up locks in the lock shop beside lenahans on capel street.
    They have a good selection.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads,

I'll post a picture later when I get home.

Lennox

Here's the pictures, hope they're of some use?

I took 2 photos..

The door handle
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/31873/32908.JPG

The actual lock
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/31873/32909.JPG

I tried to take the handle off but the threads on the screws are bust!

Any suggestions?
    Lennox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yes thats the upvc type, their a long cylinder type held in by 1 screw and possible a couple from the plate at the key end. You won't have to remove the handle of the door, undo the screw and pull the lock towards the part the turns.Maybe an idea to lubricate the mechanism of the door, wd40 may do just check when you buy the lock.

lads thanks for you advice.

Wd40 & tightening up screws seems to have done the job. The lock hasn't been used for a long time, so all it really needed was some TLC.

thanks again,
    Lennox

Advertisement