Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another brake question?

Options
  • 09-08-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

I bought a second hand 91 starlet cheap
    needed some work
    had some brake problems
    handbrake only worked on one side (turned out to be a seized cable)
    handbrake light came on under braking.(yes read the previous thread so one prob sorted)
    did some checking, looked at the RHS pads looked new GRReat (thought the other side would be the same). chedked the back rhs, also good, but car was pulling to one side on brakeing also.
    sent it to the trusty mech and he told me that the LHS front pads were worn almost down to the metal.
    He said that he almost didnt check it cause they are always changed at the same time. ie lhs and rhs. so how did this happen?. he believes that some large garages, that have the same type of car comming in regularry will sometimes change one side only if the other one is ok.

has anyone cever come across this?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I never came across a set done on one side only.
    Is the rest of the car as well maintained?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Car seemed to be serviced ok new plugs etc. one thing i did find was one of the old plugs fallen down onto the exhaust manifold and just left there. The guy i bought it off didnt seem to much about cars so im guessing either a friend or a poor garage had been servicing. Thing was the family seem quite wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I've never heard of that and I can guarantee it is not policy for ANY garage or any decent mechanics !

It IS possible that there is a sticky caliper though ! My mothers Corsa wore down one side completely in about 4,000 miles whilst the other side looked new. Shje never noticed it whilst driving.............I certainly did though !

I suggest you check that and also have the rubber flexi pipes changed and the steel ones double checked !

Advertisement