Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Releasing stage payments

Options
  • 09-08-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

This may have been raised before.

I've had the call for the first stage payment to our main contractor.
    The stage the build is at is:

Blockwork to ground floor, hollowcore ceiling in + blockwork to garage

We're able to draw the amount from current account funds without
    having to start drawing down off the mortgage.

We have engaged a structural engineer to oversee the build stages.
    He told me before that they do 7 inspections during the course of the build.
    I know he was out to inspect steel just prior to pouring of the raft foundation. The builders have a good reputation.

I didn't get to speak to him personally but I've booked him to come out
    on Friday. My question is:

Should I hold off on issuing the cheque to the builders until after he has
    come out and done the inspection. The builders invoice came about 5 days ago. I suppose I don't want to irritate the builders but I want to do things by the book, etc.

~ipl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I'd hold off until your Engineer inspects and is happy. Chances are there is no problems but best to be sure before you release your hard earned cash. The builder should be understanding of the fact that you have to wait until after inspection to release payment. To maintain goodwill, give the contractor a call and tell him you have the cheque ready but are just waiting on the Engineer. In fairness, waiting a week or so after invoicing is not unheard of and he will probably be surprised you are paying up so quick;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Assuming the contract states that you have an engineer supervising/approving the build I'd make it clear to your contractor that you'll pay when you get the relevant cert. from the engineer. If it's a good builder they'll be used to this (and may anyway have invoiced before the work was actually 100% complete).

You may have to chase up the engineer, it's probably in your interest to keep the job ticking over as you don't want the work to stop due to non-payment - particularly if everything turns out to be OK

Advertisement