Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

damselnat wrote: »
    And can someone please explain the fuss about those Twilight books??

Emo fap material... nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

Twilight is one of the most hyped books I've ever read and it was a huge letdown, the characters are obvious, no plot twists, nothing, just a revamped version of the already copied a million times Romeo and Juliet..

Having said that the last book I read before that was Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell so maybe I was expecting greatness from all books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Jane Austen's work is painful and pointless. It's 18th century chick-lit.

Avoid Salman Rushdie's The Enchantress of Florence. Not the worst of all time but it's really boring. I enjoyed the Satanic Verses and Fury though.

The worst of all time goes to the Da Vinci Code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

EmoMatt15 wrote: »
    Having said that the last book I read before that was Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell so maybe I was expecting greatness from all books

Im still partly suffering from that syndrome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭tubedude

The book adaptation of 'The Matrix'......really not the same as watchin' the movie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

Emperor series, written by Conn Iggulden

the first book is not so bad. but it goes downhill quick after that. historical fiction about Julius ceasear trying to justify why he slaughtered half of gaul while still trying to be the hero. The same lad did another series about Genghis Khan try to justify him.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

The unabridged Count of Monte Cristo, whilst in itself a great novel. I found it to be unnecessarily lengthy. 900 odd pages of very very small type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

questioner wrote: »
    The unabridged Count of Monte Cristo, whilst in itself a great novel. I found it to be unnecessarily lengthy. 900 odd pages of very very small type.

I nearly bought this in Eason's today having listened to the unabridged audio book last year which is absolutely outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

galactus wrote: »
    I nearly bought this in Eason's today having listened to the unabridged audio book last year which is absolutely outstanding.

You'll get it much cheaper in Connolly's second hand bookstore, its just round the corner from the Bank of Ireland on Patrick street, beside the Tesco . Great bookshop actually, one of my favorite. Old guy in there is quite knowledgeable and fond of a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

questioner wrote: »
    You'll get it much cheaper in Connolly's second hand bookstore, its just round the corner from the Bank of Ireland on Patrick street, beside the Tesco . Great bookshop actually, one of my favorite. Old guy in there is quite knowledgeable and fond of a chat.

Its a classic bookshop - one of my favourite places. Time flies when you are there and the staff are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

WindSock wrote: »
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I don't see what all the hoo ha is about.

Seconded. I read most of it when I was in San Francisco, wanting to get into the feel of it and all, and couldn't make it through. Not for the first time either - it's one of those long-term unfinishables.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lainabaina wrote: »
    Seconded. I read most of it when I was in San Francisco, wanting to get into the feel of it and all, and couldn't make it through. Not for the first time either - it's one of those long-term unfinishables.

In my honest and humble opinion that book is an incredible piece of writing. I must have read it 20 times.
    I could not tell you enough how much that book has influenced my young and even recent life. Even now I have a copy of it within ten feet with something underlined on every other page. Please file it under must-read-before-I-die.

In my honest and humble opinion that book is an incredible piece of writing. I must have read it 20 times.
    I could not tell you enough how much that book has influenced my young and even recent life. Even now I have a copy of it within ten feet with something underlined on every other page. Please file it under must-read-before-I-die.

I just don't know if I could make it through it again! Maybe I'm not in the right frame of mind for it right now, but it just had no resonance for me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

oooh, have just found this thread and having worked in a bookshop, best job ever imho, but got let go due to fcuking recession, my sweaty fingers are busting to type,

Mills & Boon
    The Secret, regurgitated tripe in a fancy cover and if i could say most of it is plageurised from Eckhart Tolle's excellent The Power Of Now,

The Duchess, WTF?

ANYTHING BY DAN CONSPIRACY THEORY BROWN, AAAH!

Amanda fecking Brunker, seriously stick to the weight loss phenomena.

The Twilight Series, i wanted to physically abuse, teenage girls with a hot curling tongs, the hassle i got about this crap...tried pointing them in Malorie Blackman's direction, but the horny wenches only wanted Edward..

Cecilia Ahearne, nepotism much girl????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

MonicaBing wrote: »
    oooh, have just found this thread and having worked in a bookshop, best job ever imho, but got let go due to fcuking recession, my sweaty fingers are busting to type,

Mills & Boon
    The Secret, regurgitated tripe in a fancy cover and if i could say most of it is plageurised from Eckhart Tolle's excellent The Power Of Now,

The Duchess, WTF?

ANYTHING BY DAN CONSPIRACY THEORY BROWN, AAAH!

Amanda fecking Brunker, seriously stick to the weight loss phenomena.

The Twilight Series, i wanted to physically abuse, teenage girls with a hot curling tongs, the hassle i got about this crap...tried pointing them in Malorie Blackman's direction, but the horny wenches only wanted Edward..

wow a lot of anger here...but have to agree all of these books are to avoided.
    Add to this anything by Jeffrey Archer, anything with angel in the title or subject and last but not least 'I can make myself rich' Paul McKenna.

Locamon wrote: »
    wow a lot of anger here...but have to agree all of these books are to avoided.
    Add to this anything by Jeffrey Archer, anything with angel in the title or subject and last but not least 'I can make myself rich' Paul McKenna.

Amon little pink pills for the affliction but seriously anger is more aimed at Ex boss, was a damn fine employee...! Bitter me...Maahahhahaahha, Yeah..

Amon little pink pills for the affliction but seriously anger is more aimed at Ex boss, was a damn fine employee...! Bitter me...Maahahhahaahha, Yeah..

Fair enough...time to get out that copy of 'the power of now.'

Touche....I doff my cap at ya!:D

Touche....I doff my cap at ya!:D

Glad you took this in the humour in which it was intended :-)

• Advertisement

Locamon wrote: »
    Glad you took this in the humour in which it was intended :-)

Ah here, i may be pished about unemployment but im not losing me sense of humour over it, Karma has a long memory!!

The Secret! Now why didn't I think of that one...I got 40 pages in (it was a Christmas present from a well-meaning aunt who clearly recognised my lack of direction) and returned it to Easons, where I got The Gathering and Then We Came to the End for the same price. Much better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭cecilwinthorpe

Yeah I havent been impressed by Cecilia Ahearne and I really don't get what the fuss is with her at all!

Also avoid Doris Lessing - The Grass Is Singing. An absolutely awful book that I wouldnt have touched except I had to study it for school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I thought The Grass Is Singing was alright. Bit slow-paced, bit psychological, but alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hermy wrote: »
    'The Castle' by Iain Banks - one of the most mind-numbingly frustrating books I have ever read!
    Don't know how I got this wrong - it should read A Song Of Stone.:o:confused:
    Anyhow, the point still stands - I think it's rubbish!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Don't know how I got this wrong - it should read A Song Of Stone.:o:confused:
    Anyhow, the point still stands - I think it's rubbish!

With you there. Utter rubbish.
    It put me off trying any other non-SF Banks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

With you there. Utter rubbish.
    It put me off trying any other non-SF Banks.
    It's a strange one. I think Banks is a great story teller and have really enjoyed all other books of his that I have so far read.
    I haven't read any of his SF material yet.
    Is there one you'd recommend?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

It's a strange one. I think Banks is a great story teller and have really enjoyed all other books of his that I have so far read.
    I haven't read any of his SF material yet.
    Is there one you'd recommend?
    I had read Dead Air as well, which was decent enough. I'll have to make a stab at The Wasp Factory at some stage I suppose.
    I'd say The Algebraist might be the most enjoyable of the SF ones, but they're all good IMO.
    Although, with Excession I had no idea what was going on until the last hundred pages or so. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

I'm embarrassed to say Moby Dick and Oliver Twist...

I know they're classics and all but, just...so...DULL

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I read 'The Fog' by James Herbert recently. Utter tripe, might as well have set fire to my money. It got loads of great reviews on Amazon, so thought it might be worth a read. Never again.

Advertisement