Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Anything from the Twilight series. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Bored the arse off me.
    If you even bother critisizing this comment, think twice.
    It might have been good in it's day, the legacy it's created is momunmental sure, but, it has not standed the test of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood. So bad I tore it in half and dumped it in the bin halfway through.

I know I'll be laughed at, but I found Catch 22 terrible.

Agree about Deception Point... dire compared to Angels & Demons.

Lots of war bios - especially Gulf War & Afghanistan, notably Apache by Ed Macy. 'I'm great because I killed people for no reason other then it was fun and I got paid for it.'*

*Not a direct quote ;)

All of Tom Clancy's later efforts - formulaic rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

"Don't read this book if your stupid...."
    Just dont read this book fullstop!!
    Can't remember the authors name but hes not doubt a pompous ass. I really thought it was utter ****e, a book that was trying desperatley to be full of meaning but just tried to hard. It was almost written like someone was practising writing, if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I'm unsure if this one's been mentioned, but Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, has to be one of worst books to befoul the world's book stores.
    Anyway, it's a Dan Brown rip off, with a paper thin plot thats riddled with typos.
    Its a wonder to me, how this trash ever managed to get published.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

I'm unsure if this one's been mentioned, but Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, has to be one of worst books to befoul the world's book stores.
    Anyway, it's a Dan Brown rip off, with a paper thin plot thats riddled with typos.
    Its a wonder to me, how this trash ever managed to get published.

Well connected author who worked in publishing might have had something to do with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Goat Mouth wrote: »
    Bram Stoker's Dracula

Am currently reading it. Found the first 5 chapters kind of enthralling, but once the setting moved to Britain the pace slowed drastically and it became way too technical.

Locamon wrote: »
    Well connected author who worked in publishing might have had something to do with it ;)

I should've known.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yeahyou1212

This is really a great thread

My rule of thumb is if I decide to pick it up I give it 3 chapters, if it hasn't grabbed me by then, I thrash it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jbree

theCzar wrote: »
    Something Happened by Joesph Heller, I just. Can't. Finish. I have never ever ever not finished a book so technically, I'm still reading it. been reading it for two years now, woeful.

What disappointment from the man who wrote my fav book. :(

I've just finished Heller's 'Closing Time'. And boy it was a struggle at the end, it bored me to tears. And I really wanted to love it. He's lucky he wrote Catch 22.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

This is really a great thread

My rule of thumb is if I decide to pick it up I give it 3 chapters, if it hasn't grabbed me by then, I thrash it

Life is too short for reading bad books but it's hard to give up and sometimes a book only takes off when you are half way through. That's why recommendations are great -at least you read with the hope there is a great finish:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

jodi piccoult . was given one of her books as a present .....Cant remenber the name of it
    (sorry !). One whole chapter ripped off from Stephen Kings 'green mile '. Tries to cover up for that by having a character in the following chapter call the protagonist 'Mr. green mile'.
    The most annoying book i have ever read ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Beldarin

eZe^ wrote: »
    Anything from the Twilight series. Seriously.
    If ever there were a series designed to make perfectly happy 15yr olds suicidal and depresed, here it is.....
    The Shack- OMG, as a novel it's sort of ok, I resent the outright lies about the fact it is FICTION
    (despite the author's misleading opening chapter about how he's ghostwriting for a friend, it IS in fact a novel)

I work in a bookshop, and read both of these coz of the sheer number of people saying " You HAVE to read blah blah blah..." but sheesh,
    I wish I'd done my usual and said "yeah, fantastic book" (after reading only the blurb on the back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

Dunno if it was mentioned but Eat pray Love had me running for the hills. It is a very smug and insincere book. I forced myself to finish it so I could see what all the fuss is about. The book was lauded on Oprah's bookclub and Richard and Judy's, etc. and women were going on about how it changed their lives. Frankly, I find that very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

I read The Full Cupboard of Life from Alexander Mccall Smith. Why o why did I do that. I really wish I could get back all that good reading time...

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

The Last Legion by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. Probably the greatest pile of *&£% I have ever read. Laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson

Far and away the WORST book I have ever read (not that sci-fi prequels have reputations for being any good anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Deception Point by Dan Brown
    Life As We Knew It by Susan something-or-other
    I also didn't like Catch-22, as someone else just said. xD

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Beldarin wrote: »
    If ever there were a series designed to make perfectly happy 15yr olds suicidal and depresed, here it is.....
    The Shack- OMG, as a novel it's sort of ok, I resent the outright lies about the fact it is FICTION
    (despite the author's misleading opening chapter about how he's ghostwriting for a friend, it IS in fact a novel)

I work in a bookshop, and read both of these coz of the sheer number of people saying " You HAVE to read blah blah blah..." but sheesh,
    I wish I'd done my usual and said "yeah, fantastic book" (after reading only the blurb on the back)

<Le sigh, i used to work in a bookshop too, i miss sneering at the angst ridden teen girls as they came in frothing at the mouth for the latest Meyer, i miss the smell of the books and getting excited when a title i REALLY wanted to read came in, i miss recommending Dumas and F Scott to people who never read them before, i miss good natured disagreements with customers over their book choice, basically i miss it, end of sigh>....

But i digress, The Shack, Utter cack....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

I also didn't like Catch-22, as someone else just said. xD

Totally agree. I bought this 'classic' book, foolishly believing it would be brilliant from all the reviews. Have just read about 70 pages and am really disappointed. Absolute rubbish. It was becoming too much of a chore to read it so I gave up. What a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I might have said this already... Norwegian Wood (can't remember the author - Japanese guy). I rarely give up on books but just couldn't take it anymore after 2/3 way through. Dreary, no real plot & whiny characters.

Also never finished Catcher In The Rye. Feel guilty about it though, feel like I should make the effort & "get it"

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown wasn't amazing. I was expecting it to live up to DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons, which I'd enjoyed somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jen_da_fer

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Doris Lessing - The Grass is Singing.

Depressing bore fest.

I would disagree, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

And while I am a fan of the classics I have to admit that 'Mansfield Park', by Jane Austen pushed me over the edge. Absolutely hideous novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rajagiri1

The Grass is Singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Catch 22 seemed dismal - but then I didn't read beyond seventy pages. Heller's humour would be just about bearable coming from an ingratiating acquaintance across a bar counter, but otherwise I'll avoid it.

Kraftwerk: I Was a Robot by Wolfgang Flur
    400+ pages of self-aggrandising, score-settling, moronic certitudes and masturbation anecdotes from the German Ringo

Prozac Nation - Elizabeth Wurtzel.

I`m sorry for her troubles, but the way she kept blaming her mother for her depression made me want to smack her in the mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Robinson Crusoe was important in its day, but it's incredibly dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Terry Pratchett - unfunny and can't write to save his life.

You have some nerve, sonny:mad:

ALRIGHT, whoever dissed pratchett stand up while i slap your knuckles
    I absoluely concur, a firm boot up the offender's hole wouldn't go amiss either:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

994 wrote: »
    Robinson Crusoe was important in its day, but it's incredibly dull.

Id agree to a certain extent. Some "classic" books not actually enjoyable, but they are termed so because the effect they have had on the world.

Gullivers Travels was partly a response to Robinson Crusoe (and that whole genre) I believe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Mink wrote: »
    Digital Fortress by Dan Brown wasn't amazing. I was expecting it to live up to DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons, which I'd enjoyed somewhat.

I agree.. I thought Angels and Demons was excellent but Digital Fortress wasn't up to his usual standard.

What is his other book like? Deception Point I think is the name of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crazychld69

I agree.. I thought Angels and Demons was excellent but Digital Fortress wasn't up to his usual standard.

What is his other book like? Deception Point I think is the name of it
    Both of those books are good in standards in my opinon.happy.gif

Advertisement