Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

In general, I really enjoy books by L.E. Modesitt jnr. I found the Soprano Sorceress series to be extremely tedious and trite. Avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

[QUOTE=zorkmundsson;55356007
    hornby's "how to be good" is awful aswell. "high fidelity" is the only one worth reading, i reckon.[/QUOTE]

Gave up How to be Good about 60 pages into it. It's like a bloody soap opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

I also thought 'How to Be Good' was pig-awful.

Anything at all by Ben Elton.

Wheel of Time starts out really well and then 4 or 5 books in loses it completely, best not to start with it really because you'll make yourself read to the end and you'll get to the end of book 11 and want to go dig up Robert Jordan and smack him round the place for wasting precious hours of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

Nick Hornby's High Fidelity is still one of my all time favourites but I could not stomach Fever Pitch. I have only a very passing interest in soccer and found myself skipping pages upon pages of boring football facts. I get that it illustrated something about the character but it got to the stage where I was just skimming ahead to see if I could find any semblence of a plot.

Also, Chuck Palahniuk's Lullaby came very highly recommended to me and I loved Fight Club so I thought I'd give it a shot. Big Mistake. It took me three attempts before I could eventually finish it. There was a nice twist towards the end but obviously someone should have informed him that an impressive twist does not ultimately equate a great novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

Kitty_N wrote: »
    Also, Chuck Palahniuk's Lullaby came very highly recommended to me and I loved Fight Club so I thought I'd give it a shot. Big Mistake. It took me three attempts before I could eventually finish it. There was a nice twist towards the end but obviously someone should have informed him that an impressive twist does not ultimately equate a great novel.

Ha ha weird, I loved Lullaby but hated Fight Club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rozmagoz

Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell) has to be one of the worst books I have ever read. Utter pretensious crap. And I actually wasted time finishing it in the hopes that at some point it would redeem itself but alas! Rubbish. Avoid like the plague!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LMulhaire

Can't read The Name of the Rose without falling asleep, bit of a problem when you do most of your reading on the bus! I think someone mentioned Pamela. I completely agree, it was the world's first and worst novel. But please if anyone has given up on 18th century literature altogether read Tristram Shandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I had to read both Pamela and Tristram Shandy for college. :eek: 'Classics', my foot. Pamela's not too bad but Tristam Shandy...oh...my..god...maybe it was funny and 'witty' back in the 18th century when you had nothing better to do but drink tea and read books in your stately home but I don't think anyone would bother with it now (unless they're forced to read it in college, of course!) I could only struggle through a few pages before flinging it across the room. Life's too short. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 An Sionnach Rua

Someone (i.e. not me) should compile a list...

Any Harry Potter book
    Dune

Ugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

Any Harry Potter book

+1. Especially the Final Book.

What a poxy waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

The boy in the striped pyjamas....

**Shudder**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Behold the horror that is ShadowKeep by Alan Dean Foster

n6154.jpg

I picked this up many years ago in a batch of second-hand books, the sheer awfulness of the writing and story can't be expressed but rather must be experienced.

I used to get a great chuckle loaning this out to people and tell them that it was pretty poor at the start but really gets good once they get into it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Tried reading Wuthering Heights once, what a snorefest. I'm currently about 50 pages into Vanity Fair and I'm stuggling to find it intresting.

I agree with the Kate Mosse critics, I (stupidly) read both Labyrinthe and Sepulchre as I got them as gifts. Utter tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

boogle wrote: »
    Tried reading Wuthering Heights .

I find with books like that the audio version can be a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I find with books like that the audio version can be a lot better

I've never done audio books before, something about turning the pages yourself :) I suppose if somebody interesting was reading it to me then that might jazz it up a bit. Maybe Stephen Fry or James Earl Jones...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lord of the Rings is doubtless a book with load of potential and had magic, mystery and action.

It was also incredibly, mind numbigly boring. I forced myself to read it and can't rememeber any of the last book except for "Sam forced Frodo to eat a whole wafer of their precious lembas bread" or something. It was just overly detailed which took away from the essential action of book.

First few chapters was Frodo just humming and hawing about whteher or not he should leave.

I loved the Hobbit, it was far less cluttered with description. Most of us only need the bare bones of a description and we can compose the rest ourselves in our heads.

If anyone is planning an abridged LOTR let me know, otherwise I'll do my best never to open the book again.

Enid Blighton books are painfully transparent claptrap.

I expected Pratchett to be a lot more "balls out humour" but his style is far more subtle. It makes it easy to read.

I'd avoid The Silmarillion if I were of your opinion. Or maybe try it hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Funnily enough, a friend of mine has an old man who lent me the CD version.

It's actually pretty damn good. The description really comes across well when heard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love the book, but I also love all his books and LOTR, maybe you should listen to it?
    And lost tales and unfinished tales, mmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I know some of these have been mentioned, but they are so bad, they deserve to be mentioned many, many times....

In no particular order:

-Perfume, Story of a Murderer
    -The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
    -The Historian
    -Anything by Jodi Piccoult (with the exception, maybe, of My Sisters Keeper)
    -The Black Dahlia (first and last book I ever threw in the bin, couldn't inflict it on anyone else)
    -The Rule of Four
    -Deception Point and that other one by Dan Browne (I know i'm gonna get lynched, but I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons)
    -Blaze- Stephen King
    -Anything written in the last 5-7 years by Patricia Cornwall, I always enjoyed her early stuff.
    -Anything by Kellerman, his publishers should be locked up for life.

there are tonnes more but I can't think of them right now!:D

ncmc wrote: »
    -The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

OMG im a 1/3 of the way in and loving it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

OMG im a 1/3 of the way in and loving it :eek:

Just something about that book left a bad taste in my mouth, I can't put my finger on exactly what it was about it that I didn't like. In saying that, it probably isn't a book to avoid at all costs, as it is very original and shocking and I could see some people loving it! I guess it more belongs in 'ncmc's most hated books' thread! I'd be really interested to know what you think of it when you are finished.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ilinor

anyone voted for Kate Mosse, yet? She should be on this list, definitely. What a waste of paper.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Sadly his dark materials. I've never come across so pointed, contrived, full of itself crap. Sorry now, I know a lot of people like it but I couldn't help saying to myself throughout "do you take me for an idiot or what?"

I even tried the audio book, read by the man himself, and that was worse. I hate it when authors make up a scenario to get themselves out of a hole without their being a remote sense of plausibility to it. Pullman did that to death IMO. I just got a terrible amateurish, writers group feel from it.

Valentia wrote: »
    Sadly his dark materials..

OMG yet another book/'s I loved

I hate it when authors make up a scenario to get themselves out of a hole without their being a remote sense of plausibility to it. Pullman did that to death IMO.

Which bit are you reffering to ???
    without their being a remote sense of plausibility.

in all fairness it is fantasy:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I know it's hailed a modern classic and all that, but after finishing the Catcher in the Rye I honestly considered it a waste of my time.
    I've thought about it and have yet to find any kind of point to the story. I think it's just popular because the language used is somewhat interesting and it's a little bit edgy.
    And RE His Dark Materials, they're possibly my favourite books ever.
    Valentia wrote:
    I've never come across so pointed, contrived, full of itself crap.
    I suppose I can kind of see where you're coming from, but any author who encourages people to question authority is fine by me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

JD Salinger's Catcher is one of the finest novels written in the last 100 years man.
    And if any author who encourages people to question authority is fine by you and you still dont like this book, then you kinda completely missed the point of the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I just admitted that I missed the point of the book. What's your take on it if you don't mind me asking? No-one I've asked has read it and I'm really quite keen to find out what the great appeal that I missed is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ncmc wrote: »
    Just something about that book left a bad taste in my mouth, I can't put my finger on exactly what it was about it that I didn't like. In saying that, it probably isn't a book to avoid at all costs, as it is very original and shocking and I could see some people loving it! I guess it more belongs in 'ncmc's most hated books' thread! I'd be really interested to know what you think of it when you are finished.:D

Wow, I loved Wasp factory and quite enjoyed Black Dahlia, but am with you for sure on Perfume. A few from my 'wish I hadn't bothered' list;

Lila - Pirsig, (I liked Zen & the art of motor cycle maintenance)
    A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka, total drivel
    Possibility Of An Island - Michel Houellebecq, again liked atomised and platform but this was pretty tedious
    American Tabloid - James Ellroy
    Amsterdam - Ian McKewan

As you can guess, I make the mistake that if I read one good book by an author I assume all their stuff is good. More often than not wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

rozmagoz wrote: »
    Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell) has to be one of the worst books I have ever read. Utter pretensious crap. And I actually wasted time finishing it in the hopes that at some point it would redeem itself but alas! Rubbish. Avoid like the plague!!

I agree with you to an extent, his imagination of a dystopian future wasn't very original, his eco-message was heavy-handed and the links across time between his characters were not half as profound as he tries to suggest. But I thought each of his four stories from the present or the past were incredibly well written myself, especially the composer fop from the 30's who had me in both stitches and tears at points. Each to their own!

Millenium People by JG Ballard. The whole thing is one continuous over-extended metaphor about the upper class being as downtrodden as the working class in their own way, and it didn't work at all for me, just seemed like very weak satire.

Pale Fire by Nabakov- Was entranced by his unconventional writing style in Lolita, here his prose seemed forced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greenapplesea

Any Danielle Steel. Or Cecelia Ahern. Rubbish! :)

Advertisement