Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Moon

Options
  • 09-08-2006 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I have a question about the moon. Even if someone could point me in the right direction by way of links to the answer that would be great.

Why does it sometimes appear to be huge in the sky, and other time smaller? Sometimes it is Yellow, and sometimes White?

I notice that when it appears bigger, it is nearly always that yellow colour too.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its all relative! When the moon is low you can directly compare it to say a house roof or hill, while the atmosphere causes distortion esp in summer when the heats on so it looks a bit wider than it really is! The yellow is again the atomsphere being warm. The Harvest moon when this phenomena is at its peak arrives next month.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just seen the moon rise meself over Howth in Dublin early this evening and was a sight.
    Yeah Mike your answer Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well it is a full moon tonight so it will be big, but it is when it is low and comparable against other things that it looks largest. It is just a sort of optical illusion. Enjoy it tonight in any case, and keep an eye out for some meteors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Try this next time it looks huge hold your thumb out and make a note of the relative size of the moon against your thumb, then when it's high and looks smaller do it again and the size will be exactly the same belive it or not.
    As previously said it's an optical illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

The moon is so amazing when you're stoned. I looks so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

The moon is so amazing when you're stoned. I looks so cool.

fool:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the moon isn't in a perfectly circular orbit, nor is it's face locked rigidly towards us. when it's directly overhead it you are part of the thickness of the earth closer to it than when it's low on the horizon

libration or something

Advertisement