Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question bout penalty points

Options
  • 09-08-2006 5:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I was driving earlier, and had the phone to my ear. Behind me was a Garda in a '01 Ford Explorer. I could see cameras on the dash and other things also. I noticed he was trying to adjust one of the cameras whilst driving. Is that how they get you for being on the phone and/or no seat belt. Or careless driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's how they *can* get you, not necessarily the only way. I would say the camera is more for evidence as opposed to saving them from stopping you. If they'd seen you, I'd be surprised if they let you go and sent on a fine later.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

. Is that how they get you for being on the phone and/or no seat belt. Or careless driving?
    Hopefully!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Thanks for your totally unhelpful comments bannon! Stuck behind a pc all day and just trying to get your posts count up! You must be a ****ing perfect driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Thanks for your totally unhelpful comments bannon! Stuck behind a pc all day and just trying to get your posts count up! You must be a ****ing perfect driver!

He is!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

And getting back on topic...:rolleyes:

This could go two ways:

He was adjusting the camera, simply just that, adjusting the camera not paying attention to you

or

He seen you and was filming as evidence.

I'm not so sure about the latter as I wouldve thought he'd need evidence of the driver also (i.e. ID or a mugshot of you in his camera?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ciarsd wrote:
    I'm not so sure about the latter as I wouldve thought he'd need evidence of the driver also (i.e. ID or a mugshot of you in his camera?)

Not at all, they have the reg of the car. The person brought to court will be the registered owner of the car, unless they can prove it wasn't them, by naming someone else, a la points awardable by a fixed speed camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wrong! They will ask the RO who was driving and they take the named driver to court. Failure by RO to name anyone will result in a S107 charge for failing to supply info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

He's right though. Only morons drive while holding a phone to their ear. Fact.

Advertisement