Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with a sloping site during house extension

Options
  • 09-08-2006 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently extending my bungalow perpendicularly out from the existing house towards the road about 100 feet away. Now the site slopes gently down towards the road with the result that the extension will be raised up quite a bit (about three feet above ground level) at the end nearest the road. And before anyone mentions that I should have foreseen this, I did point this out to my Architect who dismissed my concerns and said it wouldn't be a problem. He's since walked away as he had bigger jobs to do but thats another story.

Now I'd appreciate some ideas how I can get around having such a large height difference between the finished floor level of the house and the ground. My own idea is to to level off the site around the house (i.e. build it up to form a path around the house) and have steps leading down from this area of the site to the lower part of my driveway where I can make a new parking/turning area for the car.

Has anyone else had problems on sloping sites like mine or does anyone else have another suggestion

Dave

Advertisement