Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband suppliers

• 09-08-2006 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone out there who can make sense of all the promises made by broadband suppliers. I am paying Eircom for line rental, phone calls and 39.99 per month for unlimited broadband.It's a great service but very expensive.I have seen ads promising the sun, moon, stars and free broadband. Should I stay or should I go.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Eircom: They own everything and still charge the most. However, if anything goes wrong you are talking direct to the owners and *should* get the best response. However, it has been my experience that Eircom's customer service is about as bad as they come.

BT: The cheapest re-seller of Eircom's broadband and a very good bundle price on line rental and broadband. Costs €50 a month for BB and line rental, that would be nearly €80 on Eircom. However, BT's billing and customer service departments are pretty woe-full. Keep records of absolutely everything you do with them and be prepared for all manner of excuses and blame when something goes wrong.

Smart: Very good price for BB and line rental, €35 a month. However very poor availability and long delays, especially if you already have broadband on your line which you do.

UTV: Around the same price as Eircom I believe, but they offer an unlimited download allowance for and extra €6, which is good if you're a heavy down-loader. Don't know much else about them except that they have had a lot of problems in the past with customer service.

Wireless providers such as Digiweb have good prices and pretty good reviews however the coverage is sparse. IBB and Clearwire I wouldn't even mention (except that I just did).

There are others but you're probably best off checking what's available to you first, then ask an opinion on which one. Since you have Eircom already for broadband you can avail of any of the re-sellers.

Personally, I'd recommend BT on price and quality alone. However, do keep a record of every conversation, letter or email to them. If they try over charge you (as they tend to do) then cancel your direct debit with the bank until they sort it out. Don't accept any of their BS either.

Advertisement