Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

evidence of any Inuit or other peoples in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-08-2006 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody has heard of any references about Inuit or Eskimo or other similar people coming to Ireland in pre-history times?
    I'd heard once that before setting sail for the New World Christopher Columbus had visited Galway to pray, having found at some point 2 bodies had washed ashore that were taken as chinese, when infact they were probably Inuit indians or something.

I was wondering if it's possible some of these early inhabitants of ireland (in mythology) may have actually been some Inuit tribe or something.

When i visited the National Museum in Dublin there's a skeleton of a woman that's supposed to be the oldest human remains discovered here, and i was particularly taken by the fact that her skull had such a flat nose bone, very like you might expect on person of mongoloid genes.

Advertisement