Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a second Dog - Should we ?

Options
  • 09-08-2006 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First of all sorry for the length of the post but I want to give a bit of background first.

Myself and my wife got a dog, as a pup, nine months ago. She was from a shelter and is half collie and half german shepherd. As you can imagine she has shot up and is now about 35kg even though she is still puppy skinny.

She has a beautiful temper, has never snapped at anyone or even any other dog. Where I walk her there are alot of sheep and she has never shown any interest in them. She is extremely intelligent and well behaved we never had to house train her as she just automatically seemed to know that the house is not the place to go to the toilet. At night time she sleeps out in a kennel and knows it is her bed time, as at 11.30 every night she goes to the back door and doesnt leave the kennel until I open the curtains in the morning.
    I bring her for runs with me every night and she is a great training partner

She never barks although I have noticed that if someone walks in the front door uninvited, e.g alot of my friends would nip in and out, she will bark and stand her ground until I or my wife accept the person and then she is all over them like a puppy again. She has been neutered and has all her jabs and microchipped.

We have an average 3 bed semi-D but the garden is quite generous, she is never on her own for more than 4-5 hours as I come home at lunch and my wife finishes early. But the odd day, and it is the odd day, she might be on her own for up to nine hours.

Recently while we were on holidays she went to my parents who also have a large dog and they got on like a house on fire. We brought her back last week and she was seriouisly depressed for three days and obviously missed him. There are a couple of very small dogs in the estate and I have seen her play with them and she gets on great with them.

Now for the Q, we were in the shelter today and there was a three week old Jack Russell whose Mum and siblings had all died at birth. Lovely little black and white thing. Obviously we cant gage his temprement but he seems nice.

We feel like we should get a second dog to keep our first one company. But I am wondering will she be a good influence on him or will he upset everything. I really thinks she needs more company. Will she have some natural mothering tendencies towards a young pup even at her age?

I know I am asking people to try and guess what the dogs are like from a few words, but if anyone had any expierience or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It sounds like she would enjoy the company of another dog... I had the luck of a second finding me and the Pal... turned out they got on like a house on fire despite my fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If you are not sure how your dog would react towards a newcomer or what the influence on each other would be, why not consider fostering a dog? Many rescues, including myself :D, run foster schemes. That way you can find out if she is dog compatible or would be better off on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can gauge how well these two get along if you let them meet on neutral ground ..i.e. not your place and possibly not directly outside the shelter either.

Once that has ben established and the DO get on, for "safety" reasons I would say: "assume the worst, be glad if it doesn't happen":D

Dogs are MUCH better at picking up bad habits from each other than they are "teaching" each other good behaviour.

Dogs are also much more likely to just ignore other dog's wayward behaviour than to correct it.

It does happen ...but mostly in "Lassie" movies.

One example ...your current dog hardly ever barks. Terriers on the other hand tend to be quite vocal. It is very unlikely that your current dog will teach the newcomer to shut up ...best case scenario she will sit idly by, worst case she will join in.

And all of a sudden you have a problem with your neighbours because your dogs are barking their heads off when you're not there.

What I'm trying to say is, that from the dogs point of view having a companion certainly is a welcome idea ...for YOU on the other hand it might just mean more than double the work and "trouble" than you have so far experienced.

If you are able and willing to cope with that, I'd say go for it.

Ooops just noticed:

A three week old Jack Russel ??

At three weeks he will hardly survive on his own ...that is a 24 hour monitoring, feeding, caring, cleaning job to even try and keep this wee fellow alive. Even if he does survive and is handed over to you at eight or ten weeks old, he would still be a very small pup that would need constant supervision and special training by an experienced handler and other dogs.

Certainly not a case for you and your circumstances. (no disrespect meant).

If you want a companion for your dog, pick a slightly older dog that is out of the worst of puppyhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I think fostering is probably your best bet -- just foster dogs you fancy til you find one your dog fancies!!! Then, keep it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Thanks everyone - just a few points

Peasant sorry I should have been clearer the terrier is three weeks now but they wont release him for another five weeks at least

The foster idea sounds good and I had never thought of it before. EGAR if you could PM me some details that would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I have my grandad's dog - abit sheepdog and I don't know what but I'm young and on my own in the house so I got it all fenced in and got a little male puppy cos she's not too old herself. At first she was jealous but now they are partners in crime and they amuse themselves with the same games for hours.
    Dogs are pack animals they love company - you don't neglect your dog by leaving it alone for a few hours cos it sounds like it is dearly loved.
    I think go for it, females tend to dominate over males so sounds like she won't get her nose out of joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I asked this question in this forum back in april and got simialar to more negative comments about the idea. I decided to go for it and got a pup and it was the best idea I ever had. Both my dogs are delighted with eachother. I think it is a fantastic idea and it is not one you will regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm in the same conundrum as well. Really want to get a second dog but keep putting it off as we have no garden and a gamekeeper and cats next door. Our own dog adapted really well to where we live, but it wouldnt be suitable for every dog.

I think it sounds like you should get another one though. The fostering idea is a good one. Animal Rescue in Dublin are always looking for fosterers.

Thanks for all the replies the more I read the more I think I will go for it. But I think I will try the fostering option as it sounds more suitable to my situation if anyone has any details on fostering dogs, especially in the Dublin/Kildare/Laois area, could they either pm me or post here.

Thanks Again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have 10 dogs & whilst some will be aggresive they all find their place in the pack - with 2 dogs one will always be dominant. I would reconmend a male dog that is neutered as a companion & would agree that fostering would be great! You would also have the added benefit of back up from the people you are fostering for.

Good luck & let us know if you do get another dog.

Terriers are harder than my larger dogs - why not go for another shepard cross???

• Advertisement

Thanks Bond - thats reassuring,

We have been looking at a few terriers over the past few days and they seem like a handful. But as we already have one large dog we dont want a second one, we have always liked the idea of a smaller dog but they all seem to have a case of small dogitis.

How does the fostering work can you bring the dog back home for a few days to see if it works out?

I still have not found anywhere to go to foster dogs the two sites I was given are just for taking dogs on permanently.

We really really want to get one as soon as possible as we are both off work for the next three weeks and it would be perfect for settling a new dog in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

For fostering why not pm egar - she is a rescue. The way it should work is that when you foster if you have problems you can take the dog back & get another one. I have never fostered myself - I just take in dogs & they learn to get on! Once a dog is in my home we can never let go! But I would say that with a good rescue you should get full back up - by phone & email & you can take the dog back if the 2 fight. You can also look on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?&&CODE=00 & also http://board.irishanimals.ie/index.php? There are lots of rescues that need fosterers & they should have advice on the site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Have pm'd you,OP, sorry, a bit late but I wasn't on the board in the meantime.

Advertisement