Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Card slot query??

• 09-08-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I’m looking for some help in understanding more about the pc slot or port in the laptop I own.
    98_alienware_card_slot.jpg
    For my understanding its used for the like of laptop cards such as wireless routers and networking, ok I know about networking but I’m wondering this if the pc had a built-in wireless adapter then why would you need a laptop card wireless router, is it used to enhance a signal and if so how good does it work. Or maybe I’m completely wrong in my understanding of the pc slot.

Can someone fill me in?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steveo1983

You can also get other types of card other than networking ones, you can get cards to add usb ports or a tv tuner card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There are few types of card slots (these are called PCMCIA slots, Personal Computer Memory Card International Association).

The PCMCIA slots themselves come in 3 different sizes.

Type I slot can hold one Type I card
    Type II slot can hold one Type II card or one Type I card
    Type III slot can hold one Type III card or any combination of two Type I or II cards.

The cards are:

Type I cards can be up to 3.3 mm thick-used for adding more RAM.
    Type II cards are 5.5mm thick-network cards or modems
    Type III cards can be up to 10.5mm thick and are used for portable disk drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 niall06/2005

I was thinking of buying a wireless card that enhances the wireless network signal in my house, I have the modem router down stairs but when I’m up stairs the signal is very low, is there a certain pc card I can buy to in prove the signal and speed???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the laptop is well designed then a good built in antenna would be better than one on a card, eg: IIRC apple were the first to put the antenna vertically inside the screen

but if you use a card that can take an external antenna that's even better, with antenna's as a general rule size matters.

watch out some newer laptops ( dell 1300 etc.) take a different card which is totally pcmcia/cardbus incompatible

edit - it's ExpressCard

Advertisement