Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Advice on Filmbase Course

• 09-08-2006 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all

I am considering do the Filmbase Foundation course in Digital Film Making over 9 weekends starting in September. Seeing as it is €900/€800 I would be very interested to hear about any feedback.

Have any people done it? What was the standard of instruction like. OVerall did you think it was it value for money? Any hints tips?

http://www.filmbase.ie/training/long_courses.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Damon_Kind

I'd really like to know this too. Just put a deposit down on the Directing for the Screen short course, and would love to hear some feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 smack_monkey

Howdy, I did that course in 2004. I had a good handle on film production, so I was quite familiar with a lot of it, but the additional stuff I learnt was gold. The quality of the instructors was excellent, all passionate interesting people, and I made three great contacts out of it, one of whom is now a partner in our company.

The days the course covers are dedictated to different aspects of production : film theory, screenwriting, producing, directing, production design, lighting & camera and sound. I don't think we had a costume and makeup day.

The first Sunday is Screenwriting One, and between then and Screenwriting Two on the next Saturday you have to submit a three minute script which you'll be given notes on to rewrite for a second draft. By the following weekend two of the scripts are picked and the group is split into two. Two producers are selected from the group and they, along with the writers, pick the directors. The two crews are then made up from the rest of the class. The rest of the time is spent training and prepping for the shoot.

A professional editor is brought in to cut the film with the director. Anybody is entitled to sit in and watch, but you won't get any hands on experience, so if you're interested in being an editor this isn't really the course for you.

Of course it could all be slightly different now, so don't take this as gospel. If you're not familiar with film production and technique it's certainly a good way to start, it's good value for money, and you could make some great contacts. Oh and it's pretty good craic too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 slu1exm

Much Appreciated Smack Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 markucd

Hi Damon-Kind,

I did the directing for the screen course last year. I highly recommend it. its run by Vinnie Murphy. He directed the excellent ACCELERATOR (If you have never seen this then rent it or buy it. You can prob get it in laser or tower records).

Vinnie teaches it just right. He explains how directing really works instead of focussing on the theory of directing. You will get loads of great tips and get a chance to direct one or two scenes too.

If it wasn't for working with Vinnie I would never have made my own short film.

Hope this helps

Advertisement