Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August feasting

• 09-08-2006 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

I have a party to attend and assist in cooking for. Normally I will prepare someting very seasonal or if not seasonal ingredients wise, very pallatable to the season.... And now for next weekend in the middle of august I find myself completley stuck for suggestions... I will always make a sweet and sometimes an appatizer and the host will prepare the mains... Its for about 14/15ppl
    Suggestions would be fab

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Something with mackerel? I'm on a sea fishing buzz at the moment :P

Something with blackberries? I was out today and there were millions of them, maybe make a blackberry fool for the sweet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

I was thinking blackberries alright, but more in the context of a semi fredo with oat base??? I hate to think it but there might be someting in the seafood area that would be a good appatiser but I find that keeping meats and fish out of the way in this situation is usually a good idea as the host prepares the main and i wouldnt know what that would be just yet???
    Thanks tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not make bread and butter pudding and add blackberrys instead of the rasins ?
    Don't forget to add plenty of nutmeg to the custard part.
    Made with enough custard it will set nicely and can be easily dished out,
    plus well there is the bread/lammas connection.

There is one that had brown bread and you add darkrum to the custard.

Ginger jam bread and butter pudding

Try this alternative to the old fashioned yet classic dessert. This version uses brown bread rather than white and between the buttery sandwiches is heaped chunky hot ginger jam, sometimes sold as ginger marmalade, but usually as ginger conserve. On top is sprinkled demerara mixed ground ginger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Going along the lines of Blub2k4's mackerel recommendation here's a suggestion for a mackerel starter:

Chilled fillets of mackerel with cider and aromatic herbs
    (4 servings)

Ingredients
    • 600ml/1 pint cider
    • 1 carrot, thinly sliced
    • 3 shallots, thinly sliced
    • ½ tsp black peppercorns
    • 1 sprig thyme
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 sprig fennel
    • 1 sprig lovage or celery tops (optional)
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 4 large mackerel fillets or 8 small ones
    Method
    1. Bring all the ingredients, except the mackerel, to the boil in a pan then simmer for 30 minutes.
    2. Place the fish, skin side up, in a shallow pan.
    3. Pour over the hot court-bouillon and bring back to the boil. When it has bubbled over, remove it from the heat and leave to cool before chilling overnight.
    4. Remove the fillets from the court-bouillon and serve on individual plates and garnish with the sliced carrot and onions, and a few spoonfuls of sieved court-bouillon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

wow Hill Billy, that makrel recipie would tempt anyone to eating sewage swimming Dublin bay mackrels.... I particuluarly like your choice of herbs and i think this would prolly follow true for other similar fish... And I reckon this would also make a very tasty terrine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In all fairness I pulled that off the 'net.

My personal mackerel favourite is as follows:

Ingredients
    2 mackerel (topped, tailed & gutted)
    White pepper
    Malt vinegar

Method
    Place two mackerel in a pot of simmering water.
    Simmering for 10-15 mins.
    Take mackerel out of water.
    Season with pepper & vinegar.
    Eat with fingers.

What could be easier?

Advertisement