Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom wimax

• 09-08-2006 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

any more info on the availability of it? my download speed with last mile:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: is back down to 10 kbps when i download this www.url.ie/qv/ ( i always use to see when last mile are ripping me off )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

pm. wrote:
    any more info on the availability of it? my download speed with last mile:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: is back down to 10 kbps when i download this www.url.ie/qv/ ( i always use to see when last mile are ripping me off )

does it exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Drapper wrote:
    does it exist?

yep they are doing trial runs around the midlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

wimax does not exist as a large scale commerical product in any form yet. It's cutting edge tech which is still in the R and D phase. You really really would want to have allot of faith in eircom if you expect that tech to be deployed in this decade.

pm. wrote:
    yep they are doing trial runs around the midlands

Scources tbh. I've a folder full of PDF's that say it's along way off. The standard was only approved about 6 months ago.

Ps Eircom trialed VDSL about 10 years ago, if not longer, still don't see a commerical product.

Pss, when Wimax is launched as a commerical product, I seriously doubt it will be cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Isnt Clearwire's Irish offering based on pre-wimax tech?

I spose the question is how 'pre'

• Advertisement

Isnt Clearwire's Irish offering based on pre-wimax tech?

I spose the question is how 'pre'

I've no idea what that company uses, but wimax is basically a multihop multichannel ad-hoc mesh network. You could impliment such a network without using wimax gear.

last i checked, wimax developement kits wheren't even available (about two months back), and without them i fail to see how anybody has a commerical product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

180 people trialing it apparently. They've picked 45 potential sites to serve from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damien.m wrote:
    180 people trialing it apparently. They've picked 45 potential sites to serve from.

You posted 80 sites in this list here . The terms of their licence as I read it do not allow them to selectively decide what services are available per site. They must offer a 'basket'

Therefore the same services should be available from all 80 sites.

Thats would mean they have to supply you with ISDN if you wished or with the DSL substitute running at 384k min ....thats from each and every site where they install 3.5Ghz gear .

A Refusal of any service in the 'basket' from any site means go straight to Comreg !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Carnivore wrote:
    I've no idea what that company uses, but wimax is basically a multihop multichannel ad-hoc mesh network. You could impliment such a network without using wimax gear.

last i checked, wimax developement kits wheren't even available (about two months back), and without them i fail to see how anybody has a commerical product.

As I understand it WISP's like Clearwire have been taking pre-Wimax kit that hits a number of key features of Wimax and which will mostly be forward compatible for the full Wimax spec, with mostly firmware only upgrades.

Im not expert but isnt Wimax a family of specs under an umbrella term? Rather like Wifi is to say 54g.

Advertisement