Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway Problem

Options
  • 09-08-2006 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

OK folks,

I was at home today when the doorbell rang. I answered it and there was a friendly Garda outside who told me that my wife's car was parked too close to the junction and I'd have to move it in the interest of safety. Fair enough.

My question is, as I have a corner garden with room for more than 1 car once I remove some grass (boo hoo) - whats the cheapest way to do this - concrete, tarmacadam, gravel, cobblelock? How much do these cost per square meter? Whats the best option for DIY and has anyone any suggestions as to how I should approach such as task?

Thanks in advance..........

CK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Obvously gravel is the cheapest and easiest solution. Simply excavate the grass and soil to a depth of 6 inches. compact 3 inches of hardcore and simply pour the gravel from the wheelbarrow. - Easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Obvously gravel is the cheapest and easiest solution. Simply excavate the grass and soil to a depth of 6 inches. compact 3 inches of hardcore and simply pour the gravel from the wheelbarrow. - Easy!

Did a cheaper version last year. Dug out the grass, compact the soil, lay on some weed blocker, and put 2 tonnes of gravel on it, perfect. Set edging stones in mortor to separate the grass from the gravel. 6 hours and you have a new drive way.

Costs
    - €200 for the gravel (go to roadstone depot, gold something, cant remember the name)
    - €40 for the edging and motor
    - €40 for the weed blocker. Got a good one for builder provider

Better option would be to hardcore the area but I didnt have the time/patience/energy to do it.

Advertisement