Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Wireless Connection Linksys Adapter & Zyxel Router

• 09-08-2006 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I have got a pc connected to a zyxel prestige 660 HW61 xDSL router via a Linksys Wireless G Network Adapter. Even though they are both on the same floor, about 10m apart in seperate rooms - I'm getting a very low signal level of 35%.

How can this be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to wireless forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What sort of walls are in between? Bricks, wire-mesh,electric cables,etc. can reduce signal strength - amount varies with type of brick, etc.
    Reposition antennae. Turn off 'power saving' on client and router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

What Karoma said. Also try update the drivers/firmware for the card and router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

coathangers :)

My wireless card is about 5 meters away and If I don't have the aerial thingamybob pointed in the right direction it falls down to about 30%

In my old house I was probably around 10 meters away and got a signal of 100% no matter what I did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

I second the updating of your drivers. My laptop's connection used to drop out all the time with poor signal quality. After updating my wireless drivers the speed and signal quality became excellent (that's going through one brick wall, 2 plasterboard walls and the floor ~35 ft).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sarn wrote:
    I second the updating of your drivers. My laptop's connection used to drop out all the time with poor signal quality. After updating my wireless drivers the speed and signal quality became excellent (that's going through one brick wall, 2 plasterboard walls and the floor ~35 ft).
    What happened to your battery life? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Thanks for your help guys.

I did two things - presumably one of the two fixed the problem. In tandem with starting this thread, I also contacted zyxel support - they provided a link to the latest firmware but insisted that it wouldnt make any difference to signal strength. I flashed the router and for other reasons, I moved the router to another room - which isnt any closer to the wireless adapter.

Anyways, the linksys wireless adapter has a very good connection now. Not sure which of the two fixed it - dont want to bother my housemate by fiddling around any more with it as it works and he's happy.

Is anyone familiar enough with this router to know if I can setup a LAN for the two pc's via my network adapter -> wireless router -> linksys wireless net. adapter -while these are being used for broadband traffic at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

baguio wrote:
    Is anyone familiar enough with this router to know if I can setup a LAN for the two pc's via my network adapter -> wireless router -> linksys wireless net. adapter -while these are being used for broadband traffic at the same time?
    You shouldn't have any problem talking between any PCs that are connected to the router, whether they are wired or wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

There is a great utility for auditing\checking wireless lans called NetStumbler. You can download it from http://netstumbler.com/ It will show you exactly what strenght of signal you are getting and noise.

Advertisement