Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a lapknob?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

1) laptops may be cheaper than they were before but they're still **** expensive... if you want a pretty decent machine it's still gonna cost you about E1000 plus a carrier bag, disk key, software, insurance add another E100-E200.... that isn't easy money to piss away if you're a student not living off mumsie and dadsie
    Have a look at Dell's deals for computers and laptops
    here and here's another link for laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

If u follow this lilnk http://www.ucd.ie/computing/staffit/itucd/studentlaptop/ you can get dells through the student laptop programme which are a fair bit cheaper than retail. There's none there right now cause (I'm presuming) last year models are being replaced by this years + I'm guessing will be up before the CAO offers are out again...

As of yet I'm not a lapknob but will be soon. Will either be dell in student lappy programme or this acer http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5602WLMi_LX.ACT05.080/version-1.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

dajaffa wrote:
    As of yet I'm not a lapknob but will be soon. Will either be dell in student lappy programme or this acer http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5602WLMi_LX.ACT05.080/version-1.asp
    Acer looks pretty sweet. Just be sure to get the three warranty on it. And check support options for it too. At least with Dell it's a local call and if u buy thru UCD you get better support. I've found Acer support to be poor tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

When in a lecture hall, does the sound of the typing not effect or annoy other people? Some people type very loud..

I'm not in college yet but I will be getting a laptop.. It just makes sense. Whats the point in havning lots of paper notes, folders. everything is hard to find - unless you're a very organised person - but that still takes more effort than a laptop.

Is there wireless internet in the lecture halls? If so.. could people just be on msn to eachother?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

dajaffa wrote:
    If u follow this lilnk http://www.ucd.ie/computing/staffit/itucd/studentlaptop/ you can get dells through the student laptop programme which are a fair bit cheaper than retail. There's none there right now cause (I'm presuming) last year models are being replaced by this years + I'm guessing will be up before the CAO offers are out again...
    This years should be up already, they sent out a letter to all comp. sci. students with details of the deals they have on Dell, HP and Apple laptops sometime last week, along with a form on how to apply. If anyone wants the form, I can give it to them as I don't need it.
    Nehpets wrote:
    When in a lecture hall, does the sound of the typing not effect or annoy other people? Some people type very loud..
    Is there wireless internet in the lecture halls? If so.. could people just be on msn to eachother?
    Even with loudly typing people, it isn't really noticable, and is still a lot less distracting than the other ambient noises.

There is wireless in the lecture halls (at least in the science and comp. science buildings, i'm not in arts so don't know), and yes people use it for things which have nothing to do with the lecture, it's usually bebo though more than msn. Even so, I think it's a good idea to have it there, as i've used it for looking over old notes, and at other stuff lecture related while i'm there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Nehpets wrote:

I'm not in college yet but I will be getting a laptop.. It just makes sense. Whats the point in havning lots of paper notes, folders. everything is hard to find - unless you're a very organised person - but that still takes more effort than a laptop.

Laptops are only annoying if you're in lectures that require you to take down additional notes onto the page of notes which lecturers do so people come to the lectures

And I dunno about any other lectures but in Engineering you're distracted more by people talking and throwing paper then you would be from the typing. I've heard that in Quinn that they're not allowed use them during lectures cos they're too distracting. Dunno if thats true.

I gotta get me a lap top

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

God I used to hate some of the laptop users in the library.
    *CLACKITY CLACKITY CLACKITY*

You'd swear they were trying to smash their keyboards. Thank god for electronic free zones.

No laptop for me, borrowed my dads the odd weekend to finish typing up an essay or sample question. Need pen and paper to plan and write out an essay for the first time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Got a laptop for college because I wouldn't be at home to access the PC. I don't ever bring it to lectures because the sound of other people clacking while you try to hear stupid lecturers who can't figure out how the mic works drives me crazy, but like Rain On I don't really do handwriting all that much, and never for academic writing.

If you don't need it, don't get it. I'm still paying for mine. But if you can afford it, and you want it badly, get it. It is handy for the odd occasion when you really need to finish an essay and know that there definitely won't be any computers free. Especially with the widespread use of memory keys, you can just transfer your essay to the college computers and print it off there, or even get most of the essay done at home and only bring in the memory key. (My new one is pink and very, very cute.)

It's a personal thing. There are pluses and minuses. But only you can decide.

And you can get better deals than the Dell ones with the college, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

bought it for myself

use it to do essays for college and for when im in the library - couldnt be arsed using it in a lecture to take notes - easier and better with pad and pen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

ThreadNecro.jpg

And I have one because it's compulsory for Comp Sci students :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

Well its highly essential for me.

I live on my own and its works as my main source of communication, my dvd player, my cd player, my tv, my phone etc and obviously most importantly its where I can communicate with my lecturers and students and where i do my research and assignments.

Otherwise i'd have to use the college computers all the time. I once had a project where the software was only available on the college computers and I found it really stressful. It was coming to the end of semester and there'd be huge queues and then of course something would happen and I couldn't login or i'd lose my work.

Also I need my laptop in the library for online research while I read books.

So yes, I see it as essentially convenient. I mean I suppose anyone could work without one but I would find it stressful having to rely on UCD computers.

I dont use it for lecture notes though and I find the sound of others typing in class very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'm a computer science too and it's essential for us..I have since upgraded to a fully fledged desktop with 2 screens..a bit OTT but what the heck!

I got an eee pc for xmas which I will use when out and about..It's a great choice for anybody who needs a laptop but doesn't want to spend that much..mine cost me €320!

I never use mine in lectures as I don't see the need except for the boring lectures where you can just browse the net..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm still with pen and paper. I've thought about getting one and I can see a lot of benefits but I feel more comfortable dealing with my big clump of untidy notes. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Frisbee wrote: »
    And I have one because it's compulsory for Comp Sci students :)
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I got an eee PC 1000 last summer, and carry it to UCD occasionally. I found it most useful in the library, where I can turn the WiFi off and get 5+ hours battery life, and tuck it under my arm when leaving the desk for any reason. (No way am I leaving it unattended: it's highly portable, and thus highly nickable.)

I never expected it to take the place of pen and paper in lectures, because most of my lectures last semester had formulas and diagrams to take down, not just words - and I disagree with anything that makes noise in lectures. Also, all UCD lecture theatres I've been to are simply not ready for mass laptop use. Much more cramped than e.g. that scene in Legally Blonde, with the rows of IBM Thinkpads and a single Mac iBook. I feel particularly worried for folks trying to fit a standard 15" laptop on those narrow tables in the Science Hub lecture theatres - they look about as secure as a fat lady on a see-saw. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I got a laptop in my third year and although I didn't make serious use of it until final year it was definitely a good decision. There's nothing like having no Computing Services restrictions on your desktop, being able to play games if you want to chill out and having local versions of the software you want on it.

One bit of advice: Either get a sub-600-euro machine or go as high price/performance as you can afford. Otherwise you're going to be wasting your cash. I took the hit on buying a then top of the range Macbook Pro just under two years ago, and aside from a hard drive upgrade I'm not planning to replace it anytime soon. The Macbooks definitely make sense for anyone who doesn't need the gfx card though, and they will last years. Likewise something like the ePC or the Acer One is a great little machine that will last many years because it's meant for low powered use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Now that I'm in PhD land I have one, even though I have a desktop at my desk. I use it mostly for personal stuff (it's a 17" MacBook Pro, which I splashed out the rediculous bills on because I'm pretty into photography). I do use it for "work" stuff when I'm down in Vincent's doing research.

Last year I was doing a masters in Smurfit and it was essential to have a laptop, would not have functioned without it. Last year, however, I had a standard Dell D620.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

While a laptop comes in handy for doing asignments and what not, I really think that for lectures you can beat good ol' pen and paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

We had a lecturer today order all laptops shut, saying he wants a "laptop-free zone". I can see attendance at his lectures dropping a bit...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I don't have a laptop. nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

While a laptop comes in handy for doing asignments and what not, I really think that for lectures you can beat good ol' pen and paper.

Hear, hear. I personally much prefer writing notes. (though if you're faster at typing,then I guess it makes sense.) I have a laptop, but only really use it in UCD for typing essays in the library. Vista (or maybe just my vista) is crap, so I can rarely access the internet in college. Use it at home all the time, though, as it's much faster than the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

theboat wrote: »
    Hear, hear. I personally much prefer writing notes. (though if you're faster at typing,then I guess it makes sense.) I have a laptop, but only really use it in UCD for typing essays in the library. Vista (or maybe just my vista) is crap, so I can rarely access the internet in college. Use it at home all the time, though, as it's much faster than the PC.

You just have to set the proxy

proxy.ucd.ie

port: 8484

iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

So as I flick through my endless amounts for 500 euro notes I was thinking to myself ''what could I buy that could possibly help me in college?'' Laptop? Hmmmm....

Then I was thinking to myself is laptop ownership in college essential or is it just a fad? I noticed last year in UCD there were laptops fucking everywhere I went, the year before if you owned one your were proably the son or daughter of some oil tycoon! Then the horrific flashbacks of BOPs, yellow wristbands, Jansport backpacks in my first year arrived and that said to me owning a laptop was fad for knobs to show off... aka ''the lapkobs''

I thought to myself would be owning a laptop be essential or beneficial to me? Making good notes at lectures is one but then I type like shite so that's irrelevant, the only other good reason I can think of is avoiding queuing up for a PC. So why do so many people own laptops? The only students who I can think of who really need one are Comp students.... or students from the country but for the rest of ye... I think you're showing off!

Is there anyone here who owns a laptop that can prove me wrong and explain why the laptop phenomenon is not a fad and say why I should own one?

i wouldnt be so quick as to think only rich people own one, im in chemical engineering and i dont actually know anyone in my class who had their parents buy their laptop bar one who got it for 21st.

most students to my knowledge actually got off their asses and worked for it!

in first year it would of been irrelevant but now i genuinely couldn function without it. i dont use it to take notes but rather in class instead of taking notes i open blackboard in front of me and get working.

on top of that last semester i was required to have a 15-25 page report due every week. thsi required using excell to do workings then after that actually typing the thing. having a laptop is the only way this was possible!

again when it comes to exams and i study in library. queing for a computer or having your own?

also in commerce afaik its mandatory in first year.

but in chem engineering i wudnt be caught without one!

also if you are a student who is living away from home you will likely have one so as to be able to access net where you live! not everybody is willing or able to trek to campus to check emails!

thats why so many students have them!
    some just have and dont use, but thats rare! you wouldnt carry a laptop around ucd if you werent using it! they are annoyingly heavy!

if you werent using it you would of left it at home!

if its being used isnt it justified?

Advertisement