Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Tax, NCT on imported car for 6mths what to do next?

Options
  • 09-08-2006 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    Me and a mate went to auction last February and he bought a very nice, well kept Golf that was on english plates. As is the norm he went back a few days later collected the car with the €320 vrt having been paid along with the auction price of the car. The auction room gave him a slip of paper with some details along with his new Irish Reg plate number. He went got his plates and put them on the car and thats where it ends. What i mean by that is he has never driven it, taxed it, insured it or brought it for its nct, but now that he is in a position to do so he was asking me what the story was.
    Which is why i'm here, where does he stand with regards to taxing it? if its not been taxed befoer in Ireland will he have to pay back tax from when the car was put in his name? also, where does he stand with the nct? when he puts it through will it also be back dated? he can't find the slip of paper he was given by the auction room but i'm sure that they would have him on file down in shannon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

NCT will be backdated to the date it was 1st registered in Ireland.

Get a Garda to declare the car off the road until August 31st and he'll only pay tax from September 1st. Once he has the form (not sure what it's called) filled in a local Garda will generally stamp it. Had to do it with Mine. Tax was 2 months out of date when I bought it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ninty9er wrote:
    NCT will be backdated to the date it was 1st registered in Ireland.
    IIRC the car will require an NCT as soon as it is registered.
    It will get be NCTed every two years from its 4th anniversary of its first registration (which would be the English registration).
    There may only be a few days between the first NCT and the second but thats the system in place.
    www.ncts.ie/faq.html#16
    ninty9er wrote:
    Get a Garda to declare the car off the road until August 31st and he'll only pay tax from September 1st. Once he has the form (not sure what it's called) filled in a local Garda will generally stamp it. Had to do it with Mine. Tax was 2 months out of date when I bought it
    as long as the car was not (seen to be) in use during the rest of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kbannon wrote:
    as long as the car was not (seen to be) in use during the rest of August.

Obviously... but he has said the car hasn't been used

Advertisement