Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year

Options
  • 09-08-2006 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

anyone taken a gap year before? What'd you get up to?

I'm thinking of taking a year out from college (just finished first year).

What seems most likely is that I'd work for half and travel for half. That would be the plan, anyway!

Just lookin to hear some of ye'r experiences... advice... thoughts... ideas... etc.

It's just a vague idea at the moment, but it's not unlikely..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Just finished second year and am taking a year out now.

I'd say go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

What age are you Dave? If you think you could come back to your studies after taking a year out then go for it - but if you're planning on traveling you might get yourself into some debt and god knows college is expensive without added debt.

I'm on the other side of the fence, I've just recieved my qualifications and I'm about to go traveling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I took a year out after repeating my first year of uni many moons ago. I then came back and flunked 2nd year very badly indeed as I had forgotten the little i used to know and realised I hated the course, went to the U.S. on a J1 visa, came back and retired from university forever. Funny story.
    My advice would be to complete your course first, if it's a 3 year one then it'll fly by...then go off travelling safe in the knowledge that you have secured a degree in whateverology. Gettin a job after that is another story. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yep, still rolling that dice, same boat as yourself. Im off to find myself next October. Looking forward to it but kinda scary just to take a year away from regular life... here I'll roll the dice for you

Double four, erm - :confused: yeah that means go for it!

EDIT: Just read above post. Scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

sjones wrote:
    What age are you Dave? If you think you could come back to your studies after taking a year out then go for it - but if you're planning on traveling you might get yourself into some debt and god knows college is expensive without added debt.

I'm on the other side of the fence, I've just recieved my qualifications and I'm about to go traveling. :)
    I'm 18 -- 19 next January.

I'd only take the year out if the option is there to go back to college. At the moment I don't enjoy my course, so that's one of the reasons why I need to take time out and rethink, or maybe just to take a break from study (been doin it since primary school, it can't be healthy!).
    The other is that health problems are preventing me from being able to participate in college life for the most part. I wasted 1st year because of that, and I don't wanna waste the rest of college for the same reason. I'd say a year would be enough time for me to be restored to full health!

I don't think I'd get myself into debt... I wouldn't be taking out a loan or anything, that's what I'd be workin for. I mean if I worked for about 7 months, I'd have enough money saved to travel for another few, depending on where I go. I wouldn't take out a loan to pay for it though.

You're lucky to be qualified, etc. :( I just haven't a clue what I want to do career-wise, so I'm reluctant to dive into the next 3 years of this degree (I posted a big feckin thread on the subject in PI, so I won't get into it here!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Well mate, if you're unsure what you want to do with yourself then time out would be advisable. There's no point being in a course you don't want to do, that to me is a complete waste. Talk things over with your parents and your peers. Are any of your peers feeling the same way? Would they go taveling with you?

When I started my course I did so with 119 other students, only 8 of us qualified so it is not uncommon that people realise they chose the wrong course - but it's not the end of the world, you can always transfer or take time out to find yourself. Best of luck with your health. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Travel, travel and travel some more until you are well and truly broke. :)

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'd only take the year out if the option is there to go back to college. At the moment I don't enjoy my course, so that's one of the reasons why I need to take time out and rethink, or maybe just to take a break from study (been doin it since primary school, it can't be healthy!).
    You're lucky to be qualified, etc. :( I just haven't a clue what I want to do career-wise, so I'm reluctant to dive into the next 3 years of this degree (I posted a big feckin thread on the subject in PI, so I won't get into it here!)

I'm taking the year out for the same reasons. Hated my course (and as a result did quite badly this year) but luckily it was only a certificate which I've now completed, once I get through my upcoming repeats that is. Taking the year to try and get some idea what I want to do in terms of career and college courses.
    Since you're unhappy with the course, I'd say take the year out and try and find out what you'd actually like to do. After first year I was very unhappy with my course and it had detrimental affects on my performance (grades and attendance) this year.
    Fingers crossed I get through the repeats so I don't have to repeat a module when I come back!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51892461&postcount=71

:o

Done and done! I'm scareddd :(:D

Gonna have to make a plan for the year now... don't really wanna just waste it.

DaveMcG wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51892461&postcount=71

:o

Done and done! I'm scareddd :(:D

Gonna have to make a plan for the year now... don't really wanna just waste it.
    Congrats :D

When I was deferring, I walked into the college at the end of May during my exams to find a sign saying "Third year add-on forms must be handed into the registrars office by April 16th(or some time around then)". It was then I knew it was official, I wouldn't be going back to college this year :)
    The shock of "wow, it's been a looong time since I've been up here" was gotten over quickly enough.

Now all you've to do is get some plans set in stone, the quicker you get moving on things the better rather.
    Think about where you'd like to travel to, then estimate the costs (i.e flights,insurance etc) and when you've a good figure for that, estimate how long it would take to earn that figure working full time.
    If you need a loan don't stress too much about it, €1K/€2K isn't a lot to repay really.

Keep us updated anywho.

• Advertisement

Cheers man!!! :D

You got any plans yourself? Any ideas for a job yet?

That's what's really bugging me at the moment... :/ I don't wanna work in a shop or somethin like that, cos I'd be bored sh*tless probably! And I still wanna work with a young crowd (I work in a cinema now, and there's about 50 staff, 90% of whom are 17-24! I don't wanna leave that group, but at the same time I don't wanna work there full-time... that'd be horrid :p)

Any ideas? :p Gonna have to start lookin tonight actually! :eek: (just back from a little holiday to Spain) I think I'm gonna have to type up my resignation and then give myself a deadline or somethin, cos if I don't start makin moves then I'll end up stayin in the cinema -.-)

I'm sitting repeats at the minute so amn't working, but praying to get a job starting the first week of september!
    I dunno what kind of job either like, banks give out 9 month contracts and having worked a few contracts in various branches already, I know it's fairly easy work and is good craic so i may try and get a contract again.

The work thing is a pain though, I used to work in a clothes store and though it was great fun to work in, everyone was young and the work was easy etc. I'd go mad if I had to work there fulltime, so doubt I'll go back into that area of retail anyway.

Might just try and get into a call center, easy work and you're only in 9-5 and you get to sit around on a computer...would be handy enough like.

You could try going for something related to a hobbie or something though, i.e if you exercise you could try get a job in a gym or something. I like the idea of customer service jobs, they're usually good craic and its easier if you're just sitting at a computer answering phones/emails etc.

Have a look around on jobs.ie. I've really got to sort something out soon myself!Really need to get cash together!

Advertisement