Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steampunk Anime

Options
  • 10-08-2006 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I've always loved steampunk as a genre for manga and have read a few, but does anyone know any good steampunk anime.

I have Steamboy and know Steam Detectives was being developed for TV in Japan but does anyone know of any others?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

off the top of my head, Last Exile and the Vision of Escaflowne, though the latter is a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Last Exile is excellent. Would Fullmetal Alchemist fall into this category?

Last Exile is excellent. Would Fullmetal Alchemist fall into this category?
    Hmm, I think FMA would also be a stretch, "timepunk" is the more general term applied to older technological settings in fiction, and I think FMA would sit there comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Trigun!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Sakura Wars
    Samurai 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I've just started watching Full Metal Alchemist and I have Ergo Proxy, Blood+, Ruruoni Kenshin and Gungrave on the way by post.

This is my first bit of Anime exploration since I was a Robotech addict at 7 years old. FMA has me absolutely hooked and I'm only at episode 12 :)

Thanks for all the suggestions on this forum! I'm so glad I finally gave anime another look.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

There's an anime of Blame!, a really superb manga which fits the steampunk genre I suppose, haven't seen it myself but I hear it's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

I have Trigun, wouldn't call it steampunk at all.

There's an anime of Blame!, a really superb manga which fits the steampunk genre I suppose, haven't seen it myself but I hear it's OK.
    I'm pretty sure Blame! is cyberpunk.

Last Exile and Sakura Wars are steampunk, don't know about Samurai 7, haven't seen much of it, I'd have thought it was timepunk.

Trigun qualifies as timepunk, I would imagine, but certainly not steampunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Steampunk?

• Advertisement

Steampunk?
    Google?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It's on the Wikipedia but... Steampunk? I'm familiar with post-punk, and hardcore punk, but this is a new kind of punk to me.

Well, as you've probably gathered from the wikipedia entry that a) it has nothing to do with music, and b) it's something of a play on the term "cyberpunk" which was coined to describe an anit-authoritarian, typically dystopian, futuristic scenario in fiction.

The Matrix would be a modern example of cyberpunk in film, "Dark Angel" would be a good example of a cyberpunk TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Steampunk is a bit different - it describes a setting where technological innovation occured along classic 'victorian style' technological progress. Mostly it concerns itself with the continued evolution of steam power, and intelligent technology (i.e. sensors, transducers, computers etc. from electrical technology) is replaced by babbage-style difference engines for computation.

Mostly though, steampunk is a big what-if? scenario. That if Babbage's difference engine worked, computers would have been available to victorian era settings, and this would have prolonged the shelf-life of steam technology, and perhaps electrical and combustion technology would have been passed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Cyber Punk is definately my fav of these types of genres, but yeah last exile and steamboy have got to be the main ones you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Thanks for the advice everyone I'll be making a list of all the ones you've recommended and checking them out, just gotta watch all of Trigun, Samurai Deeper Kyo and GetBackers first lol

Advertisement