Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toll bridge buyout

Options
  • 10-08-2006 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this has been brought up previously. It occurs to me that as the government is considering a buyout of the toll bridge costing hundreds of millions, wouldn't it be much cheaper to build another bridge beside the existing one? Why let NTR screw the public for nothing?

There is the revenue aspect but the government are going to toll the entry/exits instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I assume you're talking about that female politician 2 weeks back that said about the government purchasing the toll-bridge. In fairness it's all a bit of white smoke really, nothing more than a pre-election false promises, to get the public on their side. The government are making too much money with the toll-bridge in place (VAT on tolls), to justify buying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well, as I read recently, there is an Election coming up soon. So why doesn't everyone pipe up and voice thier complaints to their local politicians. I have already e-mailed all my local represantitives about it. If everyone does this, on an individual basis, the government wioll get the message pretty quick.

No Buy-out, No Vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

For those outside Dublin I think its going to be Buyout = I wont vote for you.

Not enough money is spent outside Dublin to justify spending my tax dollars on something I wont use. Extending the M7 all the way to limerick... now that I would vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Jumpy wrote:
    Not enough money is spent outside Dublin to justify spending my tax dollars on something I wont use.

You must be a fair bit outside Dublin if the Government are spending your tax Dollars. Maybe an extensiton of the M7 to Boston would get your vote :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Not sure why this has surfaced as an issue, the toll barriers at the bridge will be gone by 2008, that is already definite, and the wheels are set in motion. The entire M50 will be tolled barrier free instead. Again, this is definite, and will have happened by the end of 2008.

Also, the contract with NTR states that another bridge cannot be built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

spockety wrote:
    Not sure why this has surfaced as an issue, the toll barriers at the bridge will be gone by 2008, that is already definite, and the wheels are set in motion. The entire M50 will be tolled barrier free instead. Again, this is definite, and will have happened by the end of 2008.

Remains to be seen. I thought myself that the time frame was much longer.

Advertisement