Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a language with science...?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hey, my friend will be filling out his CAO next year and he's wondering if he can do a science course, i.e. science or chemistry with japanese?
    I'm pretty sure this can be done with engineering, anyway. Can anyone tell me if this is the case with science courses at UCD? (Or anywhere else for that matter!)
    Cheers, Ro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

By my understanding of the Horizons programme, you can take 2 out of your 12 modules from the year in anything you like. So your friend could take his 2 electives in Japanese, so long as his timetable permitted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Is there a Japanese centre in UCD? I know the Centre of Chinese Studies kicks in this year, they're bringing in a Commerce with Chinese Studies as a parallel Commerce Intl course this year, but as for Japanese, it might be worth looking into whether the language is actually offered in UCD.

*edit: Doing a Google for "UCD Dublin japanese" doesn't return anything vaguely appropriate so I think it's a no-go.

My friend is doing Science with Japanese as an elective, so it's a go-go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Japanese has been available as a language option for at least 10 years.

I sit corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

does he want to do science and japanese or science through japanese?

As was said you can take any language thats available and doesnt clash with your timetable as your elective. Stupid lack of dutch and also stupid timetable'd time for german.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

im not sure what the situation is with modularisation, but before that the only language option was to take a language elective in 3rd year, very basic stuff. bit of craic tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭staple

It looks like Japanese is at 6pm on Wednesdays. See 'Open Modules' here.

http://www.ucd.ie/alc/

You can take those ALC courses as part of the Horizons thingy now? That seems a pretty kickass idea. I got a letter telling me that the Choral Scholars is now also a 5-credit thingy should I ever want to go back to them...

Advertisement