Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Plot to blow up planes' foiled

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Look I don't agree with everything he says there either but he does have some good points and does a decent job of piecing together a time line which in my eyes is the most interesting part of this whole incident.

RedPlanet wrote:
    It's called a blog, that's what they do in blogs.
    I'd listen to your protestations of it being "garbage" if you actually refuted the sequence of events it lays out.
    Theres nothing to refute other than a few links to newpaper article speculations that anyone could write... from none other than the India Times
    I've a feeling you didn't read it at all.
    Some good links in there, nestled amidst loads of (not particularly) amusing ones.
    Credit me with some inteligence.
    Of course I read it and I've given it the time its contents deserves... Zilch.

Of course people especially bloggers have editorial opinions but thats what they are.Some are better presented than others.The one above is very thin on facts,ignoring of most facts and ergo doesnt qualify for the time(my time) it would take to disembowell it (not long).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tristrame wrote:
    The one above is very thin on facts,ignoring of most facts

I assume you'll have no difficulty in supplying one or more facts that are relevant and not in this blog you're rubbishing?

I mean...to know there's important stuff missing, you must know what that important stuff is. So its not like its a hardship for you to mention it....

jc

bonkey wrote:
    I mean...to know there's important stuff missing, you must know what that important stuff is. So its not like its a hardship for you to mention it....
    jc
    To be honest with you bonkey it would be a hardship when things mentioned in this very thread are blazé -ed over in that blog.
    I was also working on the assumption that the poster(s) that are referring to it would make some sort of case for it and I dont envy them that job having read its bluster.
    I mean you'd have to assume that something posted on this thread quoting what the police have on those arrested( video diaries made for release after the planes were blown up similar to the ones released by the suicide london underground bombers) carries more weight than opinion pieces (thin on those same facts) and the India Times...
    I mean I'm not going to be the one that makes up his mind before I get all the facts,I'll make it up when I have all the facts.
    To me, reading that blog,I see someone with their mind made up and attaching a few articles so say aha,you see there it is clear as daylight.
    It's not.

You've forced me to read that blog again,its not made it any better.
    The man is making a case that the "plot" wasnt a plot at all but a nicely timed diversion by governments probably... actually its not probably,the vibe is definitely (mind made up)
    I'm sorry if I dont buy his opinion on that and I'm sorry if I have my mind made up on the value of his blogging about it.
    I'm waiting on something definitive regarding the alledged plot (alledged is used all the time by the media I believe because the thing is rightly sub judicé) but I already have something definitive to make my mind up on the blog itself and thats the blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Actually the blog doesn't state that the plot was fantasy.
    It says the plot might be fantasy.
    It also says the "liquid explosives" the alledged jihadists were meant to employ may be little more than naive day dreaming on their part. Also takes issue with the police and media sexing this up when the supposed plot wasn't particularly feasible.

• Advertisement

RedPlanet wrote:
    Actually the blog doesn't state that the plot was fantasy.
    It says the plot might be fantasy.
    as opposed to saying it might not...
    It also says the "liquid explosives" the alledged jihadists were meant to employ may be little more than naive day dreaming on their part. Also takes issue with the police and media sexing this up when the supposed plot wasn't particularly feasible.

Again I'll make my mind up on it's feasibilty after the trial...
    But for now I'm quite happy to have spent an extra 20 minutes more than normal last UK bank holday weekend at security in Heathrow,safe in the knowledge that all possible is being done to twart this "alledged" plot.
    They were so thorough that they stopped my hand luggage after scanning and removed a mini tube of toothpaste.It's a big improvement on the security before and no harm.

That said, you could have brought all and sundry on in Dublin from what I could see-only 25 mins from liverpool :rolleyes:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Tristrame wrote:
    But for now I'm quite happy to have spent an extra 20 minutes more than normal last UK bank holday weekend at security in Heathrow,safe in the knowledge that all possible is being done to twart this "alledged" plot.
    They were so thorough that they stopped my hand luggage after scanning and removed a mini tube of toothpaste.It's a big improvement on the security before and no harm.
    The tragedy of this is, the terrorists have won. The irony is, they've done so with the full co-operation of our governments.

Reality check, people: it's not possible to blow up an airplane with a mini tube of toothpaste! Forcing people to queue for an hour and a half just to get into the security scanning area in Gatwick (as happened to a friend in recent days) means that we've already allowed ourselves to be cowed by the threat of terrorism to the point where the most ridiculous and farcical "security" measures are blithely accepted.

If security in Dublin is more "lax" than in UK airports, that's a good sign. It means that we remain a more pragmatic nation. Long may it last.

Advertisement