Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Captain poll

• 10-08-2006 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Seen this on BBC heh

John Terry 51%
    Steven Gerrard 46%
    Gary Neville 2%
    Frank Lampard 1%
    David Beckham 1 vote

Announced tomorrow afaik.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Terry would get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Terry or Gerrard i suppose would be 2 natual leaders,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think it should be Terry or Gerrard because they shouldn'y be guaranteed to play.
    Terry has never performed for England, and a duo of Ferdinand - Woodgate/Carragher, could easily knock him off in the near future
    Gerrard has the problem of him and Lampard not working together.

Giving either of these people captaincy is going to commit to a particular system of play, which hasn't worked for England in the past.

Personally I think it should be Neville for 2 years, then when he retires, Rooney {which is what will happen at United}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

PHB wrote:
    Personally I think it should be Neville for 2 years, then when he retires, Rooney {which is what will happen at United}

No club bias there then ;)

For the sake of Liverpool, I hope Terry gets it. Gerrard doesn't need the extra pressure that would come with the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Sol Campbell could easily knock John Terry off the England team in the future ???????

Not a hope in hell. Sol is on a slope and its only going one way - Downhill!

Rooney should be England and ManU captain in 2 years? I look forward to that. Of course they said the same thing about Rio for a while..... now poor oul Rio isnt even listed as a contender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    I don't think it should be Terry or Gerrard because they shouldn'y be guaranteed to play.
    Terry has never performed for England, and a duo of Ferdinand - Woodgate/Campbell, could easily knock him off in the near future

Giving either of these people captaincy is going to commit to a particular system of play, which hasn't worked for England in the past.

bahahhahhahahahah. oh, you were serious ?

I would go for Gerrard but Terry would an excellent choice also... he doesnt perform as well for England as he should though. Im really surprised Neville got more votes than Lampard. I dont rate Neville at all (and not just because im a Liverpool fan).

While Rooney is maybe englands most important player, hes nowhere near ready to be considered as captain. Maybe never even.

Sorry, I meant Carragher.

The reason I'd pick Neville is cause he is one of the only players who should definately be getting his game for England. Other players you could consider would be Robinson, Cole, Owen (if fit) and Rooney.
    Out of those, Neville is the most captain-like of all of them.
    Personally, if I was picking the England team, I'd have Carragher in there and put him as captain, but I suppose that's me being biased towards Man Utd somehow right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

No club bias there then ;)

For the sake of Liverpool, I hope Terry gets it. Gerrard doesn't need the extra pressure that would come with the role.

I suspect you mean that Gerrard wouldn't be able to cope with all the extra pressure. Which is why Terry should get it. It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that Terry "has never performed for England". What he lacks in pace he generally makes up for in positional sense, tackling, and distribution, and a lot of his work goes unnoticed, all the more so by United or Liverpool fans. When Terry is on the pitch, England generally don't concede goals. That's not a situation many managers are going to tamper with. So as long as Terry performs for Chelsea week-in week-out and Chelsea maintain a better defensive record, Carragher will either have to scrap for the second CB place, or just wait. :)

At the moment, talk of giving the captaincy to Rooney in 2 years is lunacy. The assumption is that he will sort out his disciplinary problems, which is far from a certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

PHB wrote:

The reason I'd pick Neville is cause he is one of the only players who should definately be getting his game for England. Other players you could consider would be Robinson, Cole, Owen (if fit) and Rooney.
    Personally, if I was picking the England team, I'd have Carragher in there and put him as captain, but I suppose that's me being biased towards Man Utd somehow right?

Would Terry's place not be assured? He'd be the first player on my teamsheet, he's younger than Neville, Neville only has a few more seasons at the top level - depends on whether they go for longevity, in which case t should be Terry (or Gerrard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:
    Terry has never performed for England, and a duo of Ferdinand - Woodgate/Carragher, could easily knock him off in the near future

You were doing so well right up to last bit. Seriously man, take those blinkers off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I have a feeling it will be Neville

Oh well i was wrong its Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

PHB always a good laugh. Lets not forget a duo of Terry with Carra/Woody would also knock Rio out any day!!!

You were doing so well right up to last bit. Seriously man, take those blinkers off.

If you accept the initial part, who would you suggest instead?

PHB wrote:
    If you accept the initial part, who would you suggest instead?
    Never said I accepted what you were saying, I was merely saying that you were making some valid points but then (as per usual) the red tinted glasses blurred your vision.

Anyway, it's all academic now as it's been given to Terry.

If the points were valid, then the only logical conclusion would be to pick Neville or Cole or Robinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    If the points were valid, then the only logical conclusion would be to pick Neville or Cole or Robinson
    Terry's position is as secure as any of these. Hence him being chosen. It's only the likes of you, shock horror again, that think that Ferdinand is the first choice CB on the list.

You are unbelievable at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

PHB wrote:
    Only if they're isolated valid points - you create a nice picture as always but other factors come into play.

Well done to Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:

You meant Carragher and then go on to reiterate your point on why it should be Neville ? riiight. I agree with you that Carragher should be starting CB though, alongside Terry.

PHB wrote:
    I said that you made some valid points.
    PHB wrote:
    Ferdinand - Woodgate/Carragher, could easily knock him off in the near future
    Possible. (maybe not now after he's been given the armband). So therefore a valid point.
    PHB wrote:
    Gerrard has the problem of him and Lampard not working together
    Again, a valid point.

But those 2 points do not mean that by default 2 Man Utd. players are then the only 2 in running for the captaincy.

Terry's position is as secure as any of these. Hence him being chosen. It's only the likes of you, shock horror again, that think that Ferdinand is the first choice CB on the list.

It is now, but if Terry continued to preform for England the way he has been, Carragher or Woodgate or King woulda pushed him out.

But those 2 points do not mean that by default 2 Man Utd. players are then the only 2 in running for the captaincy.

Nope, Cole and Robinson are there, but most people would pick Neville ahead of Cole or Robinson, and Rooney is too young to be a captain currently.

• Advertisement

are you saying Neville is a left back or a goalkeeper? Kop on.

Why yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

PHB wrote:
    Why yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, spot on.
    :) had tried deleting my post before anyone saw it! not quite spot on I'd say ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

edit

i didnt see this had its own thread already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Gerrard will always start for England, particularly now Beckham's gone. But I suppose giving him the captaincy would make tinkering more difficult. Terry is the right choice, although I haven't been overly impressed by any of his England performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think terry is the right choice.
    excellent player. always gives 110%.
    has a good head, and leads on the pitch.

ok, ocassionaly, like any player, he does have the best game in the world, but thats not what being a captain is about.

Gerrard will always start for England, particularly now Beckham's gone.
    Beckham's not gone. He's just not the captain anymore. Having said that though, it won't be long before he retires, probably around the same time he realeases a new aftershave and needs the extra publicity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Beckham may actually be gone, for good. McClaren has dropped him from the squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4782613.stm

spockety wrote:
    Beckham may actually be gone, for good. McClaren has dropped him from the squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4782613.stm
    Well in fairness, that link only says that he's not being picked for the Greece game due to injury and the rest is just speculation on whether or not he'll be picked for the next competitive match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Time for Lennon and Pennant to fight it out for the right side of midfield spot. Or Cole, with Downing on the left. Beckham should be down the list for the right side from now on. Albeit I wouldnt rule him out of a centre midfield spot if they play 3 men in the centre, but again its no surprise that McClaren would consider he's behind the likes of Carrick in the pecking order.

Beckham wanted the 100 caps before he retired. So close at 94 :o

• Advertisement

Beckham wanted the 100 caps before he retired. So close at 94 :o
    The FA should just give him this and tell him to be on his way.

Advertisement