Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

alternative to chain

Options
  • 10-08-2006 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

i already have a very good alarm, but i need some sort of visual protection to guard my car.

i would just buy a big chain, but i hate the way chains roll around the back of the car when you're driving. i know that a lot of those steering / gearstick locks are easily broken, but could someone recommend an alternative to a chain?

dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

A Disklok there €99 in halfords, €129 i think in argos. They are thatcham approved ;)

http://www.disklokuk.com/home.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Disklok is deffo the way to go !

But to be honest if your car is a modern one with an in built factory
    immobilsor then the scumbags dont bother trying to rob them.

If you have a new car and it stolen then in Ireland it can only be done in either one of two ways either they break into your house and take your keys or it has been lifted onto the back of a car transporter and when this happens it generally ends up in South Africa or similar .

TBH i have a clifford alarm with the anti hijack facility so even if they get the car keys the car will cut out after a pre determined time unless a specific code is entered into the key pad only prob with this is that if they really want your car and it stops just down the road they might come back for your finger !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

my car is 16 years old, but has 2 aftermarket immobilisers!
    one touch key jobbie and a one as part of a whole pager alarm system.

the problem is that they don't expect this type of security and will try to break in a steal it, meaning i'll have to replace the lock / glass. i'm thinking if i have a big lock on the wheel they won't bother trying... what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

For your house, a 500w sensor light.
    Anyone walks near the car, and BAM, flood the area with light, that'll get rid of most pesky pests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

As Fredrick said Diskloc Big bright yellow deterent that works and is thatcham approved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

if i park in anywhere where i dont feel that my car will be safe i remove the rotor from the distributer cap! and put it in me pocket. thives would never think that it was the prob and if they did dont think they would have one handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

JoeySully wrote:
    if i park in anywhere where i dont feel that my car will be safe i remove the rotor from the distributer cap! and put it in me pocket. thives would never think that it was the prob and if they did dont think they would have one handy.

i'd rather they wouldn't bother breaking into the car to see if they could get it started. they would be hard pressed to get past the immobilisers. i don't want to have to replace door & steering locks / ignition / windows though. i think the disklok is the best option.

thanks for the help all.
    any other suggestions also welcome.

Advertisement