Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What tyres should I put on my car?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

For those that don't know its a 94 sunny. At the moment theres 3 155s and 1 165 (It was that way when I bought it)

I want to go low budget really and I don't know whether to put 155s all round or 165s. I know it should be in the manual but I don't have that yet. So if you can tell me what size I shoudl be getting and the the cheapest decent tyres that would be great, thanks!¬

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Phone your tyre guy, he'll know !

I would suggest they are 165/70 x13, possibly 165/70x14 depending on the year and a good budget tyre is "Courier", I've used them for years on various cars with no preoblems.

The difference in cost between 155 and 165 is probably €1 or €2 !

Avoid remoulds like the plague !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

MercMad wrote:
    Phone your tyre guy, he'll know !

I would suggest they are 165/70 x13, possibly 165/70x14 depending on the year and a good budget tyre is "Courier", I've used them for years on various cars with no preoblems.

The difference in cost between 155 and 165 is probably €1 or €2 !

Avoid remoulds like the plague !

What difference will the extra radius make?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It will increase the rolling diameter on the 13" wheel by 13-14mm but a reduction in normal tyre pressure by about 3psi would negate this !

I wouldn't worry about it as the extra grip offered will outway anything else !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would that not result in under-inflation of the tyres causing poor tyre wear and fuel consumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

I just checked mine - 4 x 155/80 R13*, from the last owner.
    If you find out what the original specs were could you post here?
    As I have a heavy right foot I'd hate to think I was going even faster than indicated on my speedo.

*Crap, could be 165. Bit young for alzheimers to be kicking in. Ain't going back down to check right now but will post to confirm 155 v 165 when I get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ferdi2000

you shouldnt have diff tyre sizes like that! :O

http://www.rtecshop.com - Wheels and Tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You should invest in a good quality set of tyres.

You wouldnt go for second class brakes would you?

Same applies with tyres, it could mean the difference in braking distances and with the winter coming look into buying a good all weather tyre like Goodyear, Bridgestone or Pirelli's. My favourite is Yokos.

Just because a tyre is expensive doesnt mean its a good tyre for your car, one tyre may work well on one car and not on another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Just a quick question close to the subject.

When you get a new set of tyres on the car, are there any special considerations you should take into account. Obviously you should take it easy for the first few hundred miles, because of the new rubber etc...

Is there a wear in time, until they reach their "optimal performance" etc.

Advertisement