Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white witch's prediction

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Helen Barrett aka white witch in cobh.. she was just on will Niall on 96fm seems she send him a letter with a symbol that she saw back in July about something that was going to happen on the 9th of august. some kind of explosion in the air with importaint people getting killed....
    he had received this last week!!!!
    freeky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Very confusing, white white is a very common term from my experience. Its not a reference to white supremacey.

As for the prediction, very interesting. She get alot of attention out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lol I didn't mean supremacy, it just seemed a little redundant, surely witch is a fair enough word for anyone to use. Anyway I'll stop going off, sorry

I don't get the OP, what symbol? She figured there's a war and someone's gonna get bombed? Isn't that happening every day ?

I think we'd need more info on the subject to get an idea, but its interesting.

As for the white witch, I'm sure not all witches are the same and dont want to get thrown under one name?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Interesting prediction. Does anyone know if 96fm podcasts their shows or are recordings available ? (I had a quick look at their site but couldn't see anything)

The 'white' in white witch refers to her being a 'good' witch as opposed to an evil/dark/black witch. Such a prefix shouldn't really be nessecary, but I suppose it makes the term 'witch' a little more acceptable to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

where are you at the moment blue wolf? do you have access to a radio? have you not heard what is happening in every english airport?
    The white witch is very well known in Cobh in county cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

gubby wrote:
    where are you at the moment blue wolf? do you have access to a radio? have you not heard what is happening in every english airport?
    The white witch is very well known in Cobh in county cork
    I've been holed up in my room studying, but I just read the thread on the airports... I suppose that's a little interesting.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ has the details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

gubby wrote:
    Helen Barrett aka white witch in cobh.. she was just on will Niall on 96fm seems she send him a letter with a symbol that she saw back in July about something that was going to happen on the 9th of august. some kind of explosion in the air with importaint people getting killed....
    he had received this last week!!!!
    freeky?
    So which important people got killed in an air explosion yesterday?

It would be interesting to see a copy of the actuall letter to try and gauge it's accuracy or relevance to last night's/this morning's events. Gubby, was there any mention on the show of it, or other details, being made available at any point ?

(discussion of the 'whiteness' of witches moved to this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

This is the same witch that predicted we would beat Cameroon in 2002 and that Roy Keane would return.

http://calbears.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20020616/ai_n12844285

The actual result was 1 - 1 and for those that didn't know, Roy Keane didn't play that game. :rolleyes:

So I don't know about the quality of her readings but I'm definitely not taking any football tips from her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It would seem that this lady is more of a physic then a witch.
    I wonder what drives her to seek such publicity ?

Maybe she genuinely believes in what she is doing? I mean she beieves she gets info about an "explosion" but going to the cops isnt really an option so she contacts someone in the media, putting a bit of the responsibilty on them?

Of course she could just want the attention.

Thaedydal wrote:
    She has been mentioned a few times on the Psychic Mediums thread and readings and so on do seem to be part of her repertoire. A few people have mentioned though that she is deliberately very hard to contact and sees very few people which would seem to suggest something other than the obvious reason for publicity seeking (i.e. money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 John Vi

But isn't she a day off, its the 10th (Not the ninth) and nothing blew up so she didn't really predicte anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't understand the situation.

Woman predicts that important people will explode in the sky on the ninth. Ninth comes around and no one explodes. :confused:

A terrorist plot was uncovered and prevented on the tenth...

Plus that was targetting hundreds of people, not anyone is particular.

I give it a 2/10 on Zillah's patented "wow scale" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Thaedydal wrote:

She claims to be the White Witch of the Isles. Apparently this means she is the "head" white witch. The radio station mentioned above has her on quite frequently. To be honest I've been to her twice for readings - while her stories are fascinating - things like records of peoples life lines in German City's during the war being a lot shorter than normal etc I have never found her in the least bit accurate in her readings. That being said a lot of people find her to be extremely accurate but a the same amount of people have would on the other hand disagree. In all fairness though she is extremely cheap and just asks people to leave what they can afford. You have to give her that much. I have never found it hard though to get in contact with her. While she doesn't advertise her number I'd say half of Cork has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm living in Cobh and I'd say she gets more business from out of Cobh then from Cobh itself. Whenever a prediction doesn't come true she reckons that her good spell etc., canceled out the evil, I suppose its as good an excuse as any.:rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are several factors which when taken into account may make the prediction a little more impressive.

One is that predicting the future is not an exact science. The imagery she recieved may have related to what the terrorist plot intended to achieve, not what was actually going to happen. It's quite possible for her to have mistaken this imagery as a literal event as opposed to it relating to the plans of others.

It's also quite possible that the event she actually foresaw was the police raids to arrest the conspirators, keep in mind that the raids on the 9th, the night before the story broke. For example she may have seen imagery of both police action aswell as planes exploding. While this would have actually related to the police raids preventing the attacks, given recent history, it's easy to see how she could have misinterpreted the imagery as being from an actuall attack that would happen and the police action being just a side-effect of that.

It's also plausible that the prediction was correct and that either the white witch herself, or someone other psychic who predicted the events, made contact with the police and gave them some information which allowed them to prevent the plot.

Finally, most people who actively engage in predicting the future believe that the future is not fixed and that what they predict is merely one of a set of possible outcomes. What makes them different from anyone else, or from a computer making random predictions, is that the futures predicted by them tend to be very likely ones. Some newspaper articles after the arrests told how the group involved had been under surveillance for some time (about a year I think). It was generally believed by the police that the attack they were planning was months away still, but on the 9th they recieved some new information which led them to believe that either the attacks were immenent, or that the group was going to go into hiding, which is why they conducted the raids when they did. It's quite possible that had they not recieved this information that the group may have successfully carried out it's attacks, i.e. the attacks happening was a very likely potential future. Altough the date would have been wrong in this scenario.

As for the important people, it may be revealed at some point exactly which flights were planned for the attack and it may turn out that some important people were going to have been on those flights. That's just something we don't know at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Thaedydal wrote:
    Oh it's her?

I remember that. A few witches were pissed off at someone appearing out of nowhere and claiming to be this second-highest ranking witch in the country. Most just thought it funny though. IIRC she was still a child at the time.

Still, whatever floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

I went to see her a couple of years ago when there was a body found in cork. A lot of hype in the media about this case and she told me that it was definitely the father of the person who had killed them. Turned out she couldnt have been more wrong. She was actually just saying what the tabloids were speculating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 germuir

i went to the white witch when i was younger and would love to go back but cant find her number.the number in the yellow pages is no longer do anyone have her number i would be delighted if i could get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Apparently this means she is the "head" white witch.
    There is no such thing in witchcraft as a 'head' witch. All witches are considered equal. Calling herself a 'head' says more about her than anything. Another guy in UK says he is the head/king or whatever the term is. Can she give next weeks lotto numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I can tell you all now for a fact, it is impossible to accurately predict the future.I'm sure that
    for every prediction she gets right, there's about a hundred she gets wrong.
    I have been studying all fields of magic for about the last 15 years and have taken part in all sorts of rituals, from summoning demons to trying to read the future and the only conclusion and any one else I know that would have practiced the same thing is that it is all in the mind. People like this white witch should be ignored.She is an attention seeking publicity hungry whore that knows nothing about real magik.People like her rely on the misguided superstitions of others to try and forge a career for herself.She makes me sick as do nearly all others who claim to possess some supernatural abilities. They are confidence tricksters that prey on the weak and the grieving, when confronted by true magicians or scientists they show them selves for what they really are...chancers.
    No offence to any one that believes in this stuff, I will be man enough to admit that sometimes there are things that cannot be explained and there are some gifted people out there.However people that do possess such gifts do not pull such stupid stunts.

that knows nothing about real magik.
    What is that and what can it do that cannot be explained by superstition/co-incidence and /or post hoc reasoning?
    when confronted by true magicians
    Such as who?

What is that and what can it do that cannot be explained by superstition/co-incidence and /or post hoc reasoning? Such as who?

Scientists.
    They are mearly todays equivalent of alchemists and magicians.Science and magik go hand in hand always have, science was seen as forbidden knowledge in the middle ages and alot of pre 20th century scientists were known as magicians or witches.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No. Do not compare science and magik. No wishing to offend anyone but scientists approach their topic with a critical mind, not accepting anything until it is proven and self-consistent with their observations and any sound theory that has arisen from those observations. They are passive observers and are not integral to the process ie: Anyone can reproduce their findings with the right equipment and knowledge.

There ARE parallels in the idea of "knowledge control" but thats where it ends. I have never seen anyone from the paranormal side of things who could reproduce their results on demand, nor sufficently explain things.

There is a world of a difference between the two.

DeV.

people that are into magik not magic do not claim to have any supernatural powers or any of the preconceived notions the general public assume they believe in.Magik is self control above more than anything.Many of the founding fathers of science at different times were considered magicians or alchemists. To further your knowledge try reading a few books on chaos magik or Aleistar Crowleys books.Alot of the works contained have commonalities with advanced quantum physics and chaos math theory.Even Einstein credited the Kabbalah with aiding him in his work on fusion.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Scientists.
    They are mearly todays equivalent of alchemists and magicians.Science and magik go hand in hand always have, science was seen as forbidden knowledge in the middle ages and alot of pre 20th century scientists were known as magicians or witches.

but what can they do that a non magic person can't? have not seen the word magik before, what is that?

• Advertisement

Many of the founding fathers of science at different times were considered magicians or alchemists.
    Only by the standards of their day, they wouldn't now
    Alot of the works contained have commonalities with advanced quantum physics
    http://www.timboucher.com/journal/2005/10/18/quantum-physics-the-occult/

http://skeptics.meetup.com/136/calendar/6543892/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement