Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

right leg 1cm shorter than left!

• 10-08-2006 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Went to a physio some months ago and he told me my right leg is 1cm shorter than than the left.I was just wondering does any other runners have the same thing?
    I was told to buy some insoles for the shorter leg,can anyone recommend any good brands or any place which specifically makes the insoles for running?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I was told that my right leg was about half an inch, so around a centimetre shorter than my left leg, but it's never affected me so I've left it. I had insoles but I kept getting blisters from them so binned them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

go clockwise around the running track :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Pfft, that's nothing my left leg is one inch longer than my right leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Hi Chancer,

Did your physio tell you it if was a true leg lenght difference, or one caused by a pelvic, or other skeletal problem? I would say 9/10 people will have a leg length difference of some sort which could be caused by a problem with a rotation of one sides of your pelvis. Putting heel lifts in is not going to solve your problem I'm afraid, at least not in the long term. I think you need a second opinion!

Domer

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

Hi Domer,
    Thanks for your reply.
    The physio measured from hip bone to ankle bone on both legs and said the right leg is 1cm shorter even though they look physically the same.
    He recommended starting off with heel pads/cups on the shorter leg and then moving to an insole gradually.I recently bought some sorbothane insoles for the leg but they seem a small uncomfortable,i guess it will take some time to get used to them.The physio mentioned getting some insoles specially made so might get back to him.Its a few months since I saw him. I got injured earlier in the year due to the leg discrepancy in my right leg (the muscle that goes over your hip bone on the bursa area).
    The physio is good without being great.I have built the muscle up slowly with weights and feel i'm ready to run again,well hopefully!!!
    Chancer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Hi Chancer,

I was told something similar by a chiropractor. I was there reluctantly as I don't like the idea of being manipulated as they do! However after suffering with back pain for a while I went and he proved to be very good. He diagnosed the difference in lengths as being caused by the over rotation of my pelvis on one side due to tight hamstrings cos I have a distance runners hatred of stretching. 2 sessions fixed the difference in length and some stretching exercises maintained the equilibrium he created. Might be worth a try, pm me if you want a name and number.

Advertisement