Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked rim - new wheel or replace rim?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭

My love of Continental tyres might be close to the end ...

I got a pair of Continental UltraGatorskin 26x1.2 tyres for my mountain bike (replacing SportContacts). I was putting them on my rear wheel last night and my metal tyre levers and I punctured the inner tube twice, because the tyres are super tight on my rims (stock Ritchey on a 2000 Specialized Rockhopper), just like the SportContact tyres. I use metal tyre levers because plastic ones kept breaking - I said that the tyres were tight.

While fixing the 2nd puncture I noticed that the rim was cracked and a small portion bent inwards. The bend was possibly caused by me but unlikely the crack.

I've rung around a few shops and gotten different answers as to whether I should get a new wheel or (just) replace the rim. The cassette and spokes are quite new. Cycle Superstore suggested a rebuild, which would cost about e30 for labour (I can get a rim for e25, the same as used in current Rockhoppers) while CycleWays suggested a new wheel for about e70 and LittleSport (does most of my repairs because it is close to work) suggested a new wheel for about e40.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You'll be swapping over the cassette anyway so don't worry about that. A new rim and rebuild would be the environmentally friendly option. Is the hub still running smoothly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Morgan wrote:
    Is the hub still running smoothly?
    Yes. The cones were tightened recently and it's all nice and stable back there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Ah, here we go - replace your own rim using the old spokes:

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=4&UAN=3066

Advertisement