Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in the Rain

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SteamTrean

I'm Relatively new to cycling (Transport to and from work, not sport) and I would like some advise on what gear to buy for the rain. I cycle roughly 50 miles/week and was thinking of getting something akin to a wet suit, but that'd be very uncomfortable. What's the typical rain protection gear worn by cyclists? and are there any reasonably priced online or physical (Dublin) vendors that you could recommend.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

A wetsuit? It's not raining that heavily ;)
    AFP_LEBANON-DIVING.JPG

You should get a good quality, breathable rain jacket and trousers. Cycleways in town has a good selection. Or try Chainrection online. "Gill" ones are quite good. Personally I wouldn't wear a hood while cycling since it impairs your vision - a waterproof hat works better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I cycle almost everyday in Dublin, about the sale distance as you. I find that it rains so infrequently in Dublin that I no longer bother with rain gear. The actual probability of getting wet is between 3% and 5%, i.e. less than once per month. (See home.connect.ie/dcc/docs/DublinCity/Weather.pdf for more).

I used have a waterproof oversuit (like you would see workmen wearing), and it certainly did the trick, but the whole hassle of carrying it, taking it off (and then drying it so it don't smell), re-folding and re-packing it made it not worthwhile.

If it is raining, I simply opt to get wet (its not that bad, really - especially if you are changing from cycling gear to workwear anyway), ot take the bus (as I did this morning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SteamTrean

Morgan wrote:
    A wetsuit? It's not raining that heavily ;)
    You should get a good quality, breathable rain jacket and trousers. Cycleways in town has a good selection. Or try Chainrection online. "Gill" ones are quite good. Personally I wouldn't wear a hood while cycling since it impairs your vision - a waterproof hat works better.

Cheers. When I said Wet suit I meant the type you'd wear using a pressure hose rather than an oxegen tank.. But I deserved that. I'll have a look in those places.

Genghis wrote:
    I cycle almost everyday in Dublin, about the sale distance as you. I find that it rains so infrequently in Dublin that I no longer bother with rain gear. The actual probability of getting wet is between 3% and 5%, i.e. less than once per month. (See home.connect.ie/dcc/docs/DublinCity/Weather.pdf for more).

I used have a waterproof oversuit (like you would see workmen wearing), and it certainly did the trick, but the whole hassle of carrying it, taking it off (and then drying it so it don't smell), re-folding and re-packing it made it not worthwhile.

If it is raining, I simply opt to get wet (its not that bad, really - especially if you are changing from cycling gear to workwear anyway), ot take the bus (as I did this morning).

I read the document. It's very interesting and I was surprised by the surveys findings. I think it did fail to take wind into account though. I haven't missed a day of cycling to work yet (in 2 months) and I hope I don't get lazy; but If I was going to opt for the car or public transport due to "Weather Conditions" the wind would be just as much a factor as the rain. The wind has added ten minutes to my journey at times. Infact I'd say that I'd take rain over wind any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 animal

I think opting to get wet is actually the best option assuming you have facilities to shower and change.
    Personally I dont see the point of getting "rain proof" trousers. At the end of the day you get wet anyway so I opt for the lycra option. I know it's not everybodies cuppa tea but if you get cycling shorts and leg warmers (the one's you pull up) they dry quickly so you could wear them going home too. It's not very hygenic to put a pair of cycling shorts back on a 2nd time, esp after gettin wet and drying as it can cause infection so a spare pair of shorts should would be advisable.
    I got a reflective Altura rain jacket in cyclelogical. I think i paid 99 for it and i find it great. Should do for the dark nights in the winter too. I just wear a t-shirt and short sleave jersey underneath these days but during the winter i'd wear a long sleave jersey.
    As for your shoes - you get soaked anyway. Shoe covers help at the start but you get soaked regardless. Stuff with newspaper or leave near a radiator if you can....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I bought a Altura Stream Windproof Jacket back in Marc. The windproofing protects against a reasonable amount of rain. When it's cold, the windproofing takes the wind chill out of the equation so you can tolerate colder air temps. I just wish I had bought it earlier in the year.

For feet, I have "Cyclespats" from Sporthouse, an Irish company. They are waterproof overshoes that extend up the calf. They may not be attractive but they are cheap (~e12), good and compress well. I swear by these. I can take a photo if you want.
    Having said that, I now have Altura Neostream overshoes, primarily to keep my feet warm in winter as they are windproof like the jacket.

I wear lycra running tights in the winter (again not particularly attractive) but they keep my legs quite warm. A little bit of rain isn't a problem.

daymobrew wrote:
    I bought a Altura Stream Windproof Jacket back in Marc. The windproofing protects against a reasonable amount of rain. When it's cold, the windproofing takes the wind chill out of the equation so you can tolerate colder air temps. I just wish I had bought it earlier in the year.

For feet, I have "Cyclespats" from Sporthouse, an Irish company. They are waterproof overshoes that extend up the calf. They may not be attractive but they are cheap (~e12), good and compress well. I swear by these. I can take a photo if you want.
    Having said that, I now have Altura Neostream overshoes, primarily to keep my feet warm in winter as they are windproof like the jacket.

I wear lycra running tights in the winter (again not particularly attractive) but they keep my legs quite warm. A little bit of rain isn't a problem.

Very informative.. reminiscent of "American Psycho". Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I go with Genghis and Animal on this one, rain gear isn't worth the effort. The only difference is whether you get wet from the outside in or the inside out. Even the 'breathable' gear makes you sweat with only the slightest exertion. I also find raingear quite restrictive and heavy while cycling...

Get a rainproof backpack, wear lightweight cycling gear and and bring a change of clothes

milod wrote:
    IThe only difference is whether you get wet from the outside in or the inside out.
    <snip>
    Get a rainproof backpack, wear lightweight cycling gear and and bring a change of clothes
    Continuing the "American Psycho"-like details (great book btw)... I bought some Patagonia breathable waterproof leggings a few years ago. While they pack down brilliantly, I never use them because I sweat too much in them (wet from the inside out).

For a rainproof backpack, I recommend the Berghaus Freeflow pack. The best feature is the curved back which keeps the pack off your back so you sweat less there. It has a rain cover that is stored in the base of the pack. I use it while running too - with chest and waist straps keeping it steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

ah the rain this morning was horrible, extreme drizzle combined with a headwind going up hil ain't fun and then it stops as soon as i get to work, pain!

in regards to wet gear i don't bother really, just get wet then get into work clothes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Lycra and get a good waterproof bag for a change. It gets wet but once you're wet you stay warm and it will dry quickly enough to be comfortable for your return trip. You won't sweat half as much as other waterproof no matter how breathable they say they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Get yourself a windsurfing "keg" to keep the top half dry, and just go. You'll never keep your legs dry anyway, the water comes at them from all angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

animal wrote:
    IIt's not very hygenic to put a pair of cycling shorts back on a 2nd time, esp after gettin wet and drying as it can cause infection so a spare pair of shorts should would be advisable.

true, but maybe more practical is chamois cream/ointment. This stuff has evolved from purely softening function for what used to be horrible fabric, to providing varying levels of antibacterial and anti friction protection. Available in most good stores...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Shorts and a t-shirt TBH. The less you wear, the less there is to get wet. In winter, I would add long sleeves on dry days or t-shirt and a lightweight raincoat if it is raining or snowing. Still the shorts. This depends on you going fast enough to keep your heat level up. As another poster mentioned, it does not actually rain that much in Dublin. I have been cycling to work for six years now, twelve months of the year, and I don't think I have ever not worn shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Not sure about these who are saying to just get wet. I did that this week and now I'm dying with a cold. I have a golfers' waterproof suit which I find excellent (when I remember to bring it) - I got it as a gift but I believe it was quite expensive.

Robin1982 wrote:
    Not sure about these who are saying to just get wet. I did that this week and now I'm dying with a cold.
    A cold is an infection, it's not caused by getting wet. I would cover up the top half well during winter but always wear shorts and I don't think I could ever ascribe a cold to this practice. If you are going at speed you probably get less wet this way in any case (even the most breathable leggings leave me in a sweat.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

blorg wrote:
    A cold is an infection, it's not caused by getting wet. I would cover up the top half well during winter but always wear shorts and I don't think I could ever ascribe a cold to this practice. If you are going at speed you probably get less wet this way in any case (even the most breathable leggings leave me in a sweat.)

Fully agree with that - ok if it's so cold that you arrive shivering, then you may leave yourself more susceptible to a cold, but stay reasonably warm and well ventilated and you can do without rain gear - even the most expensive Gore-tex sweats you like a sauna. If you don't have a shower at work, then you should especially avoid rain gear which is far more likely to cause a ming - if you quickly change out of cycling gear on arrival, a wet wipe applied to certain areas is more than adequate :D

Shorts and t-shirt tbh, get into a shower straight away though...

feels lovely actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You'll pretty much just have to accept getting wet to some degree. Raingear usually leaves you smelly. If you get galoshes for the feet and a cape (like the olden days) you won't do too badly. The trouble is, the last cape I saw/used was an ex Iarnrod one, canvas and very heavy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

I agree. I bought a 75 euro rainpants in Cycleways. Of course they said it was the best thing since sliced bread (good salespeople I must admit. They must be on commission to survive). They ain't breathable, they are heavy and they leave you more soaked then the rain and smelly. Best put on some warm clothes and a change of clothes for the journey home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I was thinking about this thread while getting pi$$ed on tonight on the way home. I waited for another hour or so in work in the hope that the rain would stop - it did ease a bit but my socks & shorts were thoroughly soaked when I got home. It wasn't really that bad though - I'll plan on getting a high-visibility rainjacket for the dark nights in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Genghis wrote:
    Same here! I have worn it a few times when it was torrential. My trip takes only 20mins so having soaking clothes is no real problem, I wrap up extra in a plastic bag and change in work.

My suit is made from flexothane which is meant to be better than goretex, still do sweat by I cycle fast. 1/2 way down this page, the guy hosing himself down, cost about €70 delivered

http://www.safetysupplies.co.uk/trolleyed/22/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yeah I got absolutely soaking drenched yesterday, my advice wear the least amount of things you can,

Where can I decent cycling shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

I like the look of these Rain Legs... keep water off the part of your leg that gets wettest, but still lots of ventilation. Anybody used them?

It was nasty yesterday evening, certainly. Of course I picked the exact worst hour to cycle home in as usual.

Where can I decent cycling shorts
    Last year I bought Cannondale shorts for e29. My pair has small side pockets (only suitable for a PowerBar). It's basic but does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Sorry but I hate getting wet so I have a good quality breathable(ish) rain jacket that I wear commuting and mountain biking. They do sweat you but at least your not cold.
    I dont wear leggings as I find them completely useless.
    Every pair I ever bought either werent breathable or werent water proof. They usually sweat your legs to a state wetter than the rain.
    Buy some decent lycra shorts/leggings they are so popular with the people in my office. They dont smell as long as you wash them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

daymobrew wrote:
    Last year I bought Cannondale shorts for e29. My pair has small side pockets (only suitable for a PowerBar). It's basic but does the job.

Looks good, thanx,

whatabout cycling shoes?

something that doesnt hold water

whatabout cycling shoes?
    something that doesnt hold water
    I have clipless pedals. My shoe choice was mostly a cost one. Regardless of what shoes you have, Altura Overshoes will keep your feet warm and (mostly) dry. They are wind proof and quite water resistant. Very easy to put on, with a large opening at the rear, and a large velcro strip to keep it closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

dalk wrote:
    I like the look of these Rain Legs... keep water off the part of your leg that gets wettest, but still lots of ventilation. Anybody used them?
    You like the look of them? Are you mad?

inactie_c.jpg

Advertisement