Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we allow selling at all on Boards?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Agreed, it shouldn't be.
    Who else has rubbished anyone else's post in that manner?
    And would it be acceptable if done by a bog standard user?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hagar wrote:
    I think that's what ecksor's saying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Hagar wrote:
    Agreed, it shouldn't be.

I'm not sure if a discussion of Feedback moderation here is a good idea, but since it's your thread I'll let you worry about it going off-topic.
    Who else has rubbished anyone else's post in that manner?

Feedback threads frequently become heated affairs. I don't think I've moderated anybody's comments on this forum recently apart from Banning Big Nelly for a particularly unconstructive jab.

It works both ways. From the point of anyone who is reading they shouldn't feel that anyone apart from the admins should be taken as authoritative just because of a role of responsibility on the site. Obviously someone who has a lot of experience in an area on the site will have people paying attention to them but I see that as part of taking a post on its merits. From the point of view of someone posting, they shouldn't feel constrained in their expression because of a perceived social position, whether they're an SMod or a new User.

Fair enough, let the thread take it course.
    It's only a thread on the internet after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The way I see it, it's as amp said, buyer beware.

I could suggest that people could use the paypal feature, but as pointed out above it has its faults.

In terms of adverts.ie transactions, how many are cash on collection?

There are also companies that I have heard of, that will collect an item and pay the seller at their home.
    This system could also be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hagar wrote:
    It may not be very common but the way it happens is typical, user sends money in good faith to someone he believes he can trust as a fellow boardsie and get stung.

Ok, you don't know what the word "typical" actually means. Let's move on.
    I doubt if he would send off money to someone in the buy and sell in the same way. It's the abuse of trust within our community that gets me.

Which community? There's many on boards. I don't understand why your comparing boards with the Buy and Sell. At least you have to have a working phone number with them, on boards you're dealing with someone who signed up to a bulliten board and could easily give fake information. It's not fully anonymous but it's certainly much more anonymous than the B & S. You should be even more careful on boards. But still boards merely provides the infrastructure for the trade, it can't stop people being bad. It can stop them posting here and help the gards but that's about it. Personally I would favour permanently altering their avatars to large ones saying I AM A CRIMINAL! DO NOT BUY MY STUFF! Which would make things easier and also funnier.
    No, it's not. It's fair comment on theft.

And it's fair to say that the boards' precious reputation (what has having a good rep ever done for boards, just brought more morons here) is at stake because one idiot decides to rip people off? Doesn't sound fair to me. Sounds bonkers.
    Reactionary, now there's a label that can be stuck on absolutely anything and still mean nothing.

It means in the context I used it, to mean that your response was a knee-jerk one. It's not boards.ie's responsibility to TEACH YOU TO SPEAKY SPEAKY DA ENGLISH.
    Just because you're a cmod don't go over the top on me, leave out the crap etc. it's not needed, thanks very much.

*A lavish thrown room. In the centre there is an ornate gilded throne hewn from gold platinum and a dash of lemon*

*A Butler appears with a very long scroll*

Butler: Presenting King Amp Ampinstein the First Lord Catagory Moderator of The Games, Drone Slave of The Leader of TCN, Protector of Humanities, Dr PHD AND ALSO MA WITH THE BA HEY HEY OF Ask Dr. Demento, Party Animal of The Events forum AND ALMIGHTY PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM.

*Enter King Amp Ampinstein the First Lord Catagory Moderator of The Games, Drone Slave of The Leader of TCN, Protector of Humanities, Dr PHD AND ALSO MA WITH THE BA HEY HEY OF Ask Dr. Demento, Party Animal of The Events forum AND ALMIGHTY PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM.*

King Amp Ampinstein the First Lord Catagory Moderator of The Games, Drone Slave of The Leader of TCN, Protector of Humanities, Dr PHD AND ALSO MA WITH THE BA HEY HEY OF Ask Dr. Demento, Party Animal of The Events forum AND ALMIGHTY PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM: Hey Hagar, shut the hell up. Your arguments don't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

amp wrote:
    King Amp Ampinstein the First Lord Catagory Moderator of The Games, Protector of Humanities, Dr PHD AND ALSO MA WITH THE BA HEY HEY OF Ask Dr. Demento, Party Animal of The Events forum AND ALMIGHTY PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM

Very off-topic and advanced apologies but I will pay the costs for anyone that makes a t-shirt with the above on it and who presents it to Amp at the beers. Unfortunately I can't be there myself on Saturday due to frigging repeat college exams I have to study for.

I would buy the person who does this at least two pints/drinks of their choice. I will also talk to them for at least 5 minutes and may sign an autographed photo.

Will a white T-shirt and a permanent marker do?

No, it must be of high print quality and machine washable. Medium sized. Also any person who has been banned from TCN and wants to be unbanned can pay me one pint of Heiniken for their freedom.

TCN - Putting the "orsh" in dicatorship.

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    *A lavish thrown room. In the centre there is an ornate gilded throne hewn from gold platinum and a dash of lemon*

*A Butler appears with a very long scroll*

Butler: Presenting King Amp Ampinstein the First Lord Catagory Moderator of The Games, Drone Slave of The Leader of TCN, Protector of Humanities, Dr PHD AND ALSO MA WITH THE BA HEY HEY OF Ask Dr. Demento, Party Animal of The Events forum AND ALMIGHTY PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM.

*Enter King Amp Ampinstein the First Lord Catagory Moderator of The Games, Drone Slave of The Leader of TCN, Protector of Humanities, Dr PHD AND ALSO MA WITH THE BA HEY HEY OF Ask Dr. Demento, Party Animal of The Events forum AND ALMIGHTY PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM.*

King Amp Ampinstein the First Lord Catagory Moderator of The Games, Drone Slave of The Leader of TCN, Protector of Humanities, Dr PHD AND ALSO MA WITH THE BA HEY HEY OF Ask Dr. Demento, Party Animal of The Events forum AND ALMIGHTY PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM: Hey Hagar, shut the hell up. Your arguments don't make any sense.

Now there's an argument that makes sense. That makes it all so much clearer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

damien.m wrote:
    Very off-topic and advanced apologies but I will pay the costs for anyone that makes a t-shirt with the above on it and who presents it to Amp at the beers. Unfortunately I can't be there myself on Saturday due to frigging repeat college exams I have to study for.

It's a shame you couldn't be there damien.
    I can confirm that one Oscarbravo did indeed present amp with said t-shirt, text exactly as above - oh how we all laughed :D
    I believe there maybe pics

Perfect!

Now to pay up damien. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have a picture or two of the tshirt, it is class.
    Bravo Oscar, Bravo.

Sparky-s wrote:
    Now to pay up damien. :)

I'll happily reimburse the poor man that drives a Saab.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Aye, but it's not a new Saab, and I've done several of the smaller repair jobs on it myself. Doncha know. Anyhoo:

kingamp.jpg

Payment can be made in beer at the Ireland Offline AGM. ;)

That's class.
    oscarBravo wrote:
    Payment can be made in beer at the Ireland Offline AGM. ;)

Ah cool. I might head along so.

Advertisement