Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your games of the year - so far

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

Loco Roco for me. It's everything a handheld game should be - fun, quick to play and utterly addictive. Add in some charming graphics and an utterly brilliant soundtrack and it's one of the best games I've played in years. The real irony is that it's a typical Nintendo style game in that it's innovative and accesable, without ever worrying about being 'cool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Prey
    Might not be game of the year material for the majority of people, but I enjoyed it for what it is; a nicely paced, entertaining FPS with a good sense of humour and some nice original touches.
    I can see it being replaced by another game soon, but for the time being it's definitely my GOTY.

Phoenix Wright might come a close second. kind of lost interest during the bonus chapter though... So didn't get a real sense of satisfaction when I finished it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

yeah, it could be accused of not really being that much different to Superstar saga, and it's a bit too easy, but all that aside, it's perfect controls, sharp visuals, and a combat system that holds your interest for all the game [a rare feat for an RPG], and, most importantly, it's sense of humour make this the best game I've played so far this year.

BACK TO ADVENTURE!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

GRAW (PC), it does have it's problems but I love it. It has a good mix of slow/tense gameplay with some fast/intense bits thrown in. Good tac-sim elements, altough they are a little light, they work incredibly well at times, having some of your squad suppress some bad guys while you flank around is very rewarding. Beautifull graphics if you have a machine capable of making the most of them (who needs AA anyway). Excellent sound, great music but the sound effects are incredible, very immersive. Some nice innovations such as the cross-com, real-time sattelite imagery, controlling the drone etc. Easily the best friendly AI I've ever seen (I've never once been tempted to just kill them at the start and carry on on my own), and probably the best enemy AI too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shadow of the Colossus for me, although I did play it last year but it only got released in europe this year. No other game this year has come close to the spectacle and storytelling of that game. Was also a blast to play.

There's a few DS games that I would like to mention but still haven't got round to buying due to being smashed all year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I haven't played much in the way of new games this year besides HL2 episode 1. I've been sticking mostly to Team Fortress Classic (now about 7 years old, returned to it a couple of months ago after about 3 years in the wilderness), Day of Defeat: Source and Burnout Legends on the PSP - a really great way to kill time on flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat

The first BF game I have played, and on a console at that!! (360) And I can honestly say I was expecting a good game, but it is soooo much more fun then I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

For me it has to be New Super Mario Bros. I haven't played many new games this year but even if I did I doubt many would come close to matching the fun I had getting through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Well just thinking back dreamfall is probably the game I enjoyed the most, with shadow of the colossus not too far behind that. It's odd that I enjoyed dreamfall so much when I'm usually one of the first to shout "gameplay is what matters most"...it was just lovely, I just hope I don't have to wait another 5 years for part 3 of the story...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

For me it's Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth. I love horror games, but I've never played one that got to me like this one. I'm ashamed to admit that in one part, I spent 10 minutes debating whether I should open a door or to just turn off the game and do something else because I was terrified of what was going to happen! lol But I guess that's what you get when you play a horror game alone in the dead of night with the lights off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

I haven't bought a lot of new games this year(or rather, I have but they weren't this year's games) but the ones that really hooked me were

Phoenix Wright(DS): I don't know why whether I ask the right questions in the trial of a character I'm not even controlling has me on the edge of my seat more often than any number of fate-of-the-world cataclysmic battles, but it does.

Space Rangers(PC): Elite meets Star Control meets Total Annihilation meets MechAssault meets Space War meets text adventures meets Leaving Cert maths meets....
    Enormous variety coupled with compulsive 'just until I can afford that upgrade' gameplay and charmingly lo-fi technology, I couldn't quit this for at least two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

jomanji wrote:
    For me it's Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth. I love horror games, but I've never played one that got to me like this one. I'm ashamed to admit that in one part, I spent 10 minutes debating whether I should open a door or to just turn off the game and do something else because I was terrified of what was going to happen! lol But I guess that's what you get when you play a horror game alone in the dead of night with the lights off!

That was a great game but some of the more obscure puzzles got on my nerves - espcially the safe cracking ones.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Loco Roco or HL2 E1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

For me it would have to be oblivion followed closely by Phoenix wright.I thought there should have been more use of the stylus in Phoenix wright(excluding the last case).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Shadow of the colossus or Oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Shadow of the Colossus by far. Will probably still be come the end of the year too.

Other good games have been Loco Roco, We Love Katamari, Oblivion. But SOTC really stands alone as a very very special game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hitman: Blood Money.

NFS: MW is up there too.

Mario & Luigi: PiT. Nice to see it mentioned already :v:

Haven't played much else otherwise, not enough time put into Oblivion to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I'll vote for Oblivion and COD2.
    A lot of people will debate the latter, but I still think it's a masterpiece. Multiplayer's superb for those of us without broadband, and the singleplayer's excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Shadow of the Colossus and Phoenix Wright. Two fantastically enjoyable games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Rogue Trooper

Shame i bought the only copy in ireland :(

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

When was FEAR released? I'd have to say Oblivion (despite it corrupting my save game and making me not play it anymore) or Halflife 2 Ep1.

When was FEAR released?
    about a month ago now

Ah crap yeah, add FEAR to my list aswell. And HL2 Ep1 for kicks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

tman wrote:
    about a month ago now
    A month? I'm pretty sure that last december(when I got around to buying it) was more than a month ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

it has to be for me Oblivion, spent way too much time on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

has to be oblivion, what an amazing game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Shadow of the Colossus was the best thing to happen this year, Trauma Centre was pretty amazing too.
    Prey was fun on 360

A month? I'm pretty sure that last december(when I got around to buying it) was more than a month ago...

Yeah, actually it was last October.

ah jesus, was thinking of Prey for some reason:o
    morto!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Pheonix Wright: Ace Objection! But what was the deal with that last chapter?

Half Life 2: Episode of my life! Alyx Brush your hair its in HDR!

Top two..

And that is the some total of the games released this year that I have been playing, except for eve, trauma centre, animal crossing, civ 4, sonic rush, homeworld, Half life 2, Half life, Oblivion, morrowind, Arena, GTA Vice City, Hitman blood money, codename 47, rise of nations, brain age, jupiter: the nexus incident, battlefield vietnam, freelancer, Jedi Knight academy and countless mods, the best of which was minevera

Advertisement