Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mairead McGuinness set to run in GE'07?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭

FINE Gael MEP Mairead McGuinness is coming under pressure to make up her mind about running in next year's general election.

However, the party's bright hope has denied being asked to make a decision "within weeks".

Fine Gael is desperate for the MEP - the party's political superstar of the European elections two years ago - to mount a national constituency challenge next year. - Irish Independent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

mfitzy wrote:

Fine Gael is desperate for the MEP - the party's political superstar of the European elections two years ago - to mount a national constituency challenge next year. - Irish Independent

Fg got a boost from the European elections.

Simon Coveny is on the way back as well.

Get the big guns to run for the European Parliament - & then run for the Dail.

It is really making a fool of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cork wrote:
    It is really making a fool of the electorate.
    lolz!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

I like her because she has expressed caution on allowing immediate open-borders for Romanians and Bulgarians wanting to enter the EU. Hopefully she could sow dissent if Kenny intends pressing on with the open-borders as he said he would on "The Political Party" on TV3 some time ago. Stand Mairead. :)

I like her because she has expressed caution on allowing immediate open-borders for Romanians and Bulgarians wanting to enter the EU. Hopefully she could sow dissent if Kenny intends pressing on with the open-borders as he said he would on "The Political Party" on TV3 some time ago. Stand Mairead. :)

Surely, She could do this as an MEP?

Is Gay Mitchell on the way back as well?

Why people run for the European parliament & give up their seats is mad?

They get a mandate and then have 2nd toughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

Cork wrote:
    Surely, She could do this as an MEP?

Is Gay Mitchell on the way back as well?

Why people run for the European parliament & give up their seats is mad?

They get a mandate and then have 2nd toughts.

There is nothing in the law preventing one from exercising a Euro/Dail dual-mandate (there is only a ban on dual mandates of the loca/Dail kind). Why does she have to choose? FG rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

There is nothing in the law preventing one from exercising a Euro/Dail dual-mandate (there is only a ban on dual mandates of the loca/Dail kind). Why does she have to choose? FG rules?

European rules. The dual mandate allowance that Irish and UK representatives had before have been removed. She would be replaced by the next name on her list if she got a place in the Dail.

gilroyb wrote:
    European rules

Simon Covney is coming back.

Mairead McGuinness & Gay Mitchell have yet to decide.

Coming back to contest national elections is perfectly legal.

FG putting people forward to EU elections that may or not fulfill their mandate is a joke.

Putting "big names" on ballot papers to give Enda a boost is pretty sad.

Will when Mairead McGuinness or Gay Mitchell make their minds up?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Cork wrote:
    Coming back to contest national elections is perfectly legal.

Just to clarify, I never suggested it wasn't. I was however saying that if they get elected to the Dail they would no longer be an MEP. Their position would go to someone else nominated by the candidate/party. If Mary Lou gets elected for SF, her European role will become Killian Forde's European role. If the MEP runs for the Dail and doesn't gain a seat, they remain as an MEP.

This isn't a party specific thing, it's an election rules thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

That is the way it should be. There should be no dual mandates from local level up to European level. Getting rid of the Councillor/TD mandate was the right thing to do. If you want to be a councillor, be a councillor, if you want to be a TD, be a TD and if you want to be an MEP, be an MEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Honestly Cork, you sound just a little upset and perhaps, is it jealous, that FG can do this more than FF, because FG have more MEPs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fly.on.the.wall

I think it's a good bet that Mairead will run next year. From what I hear, more then likely it will be in the new Meath West constituency. It’s a 3 seater, with 3 sitting T.D.’s, Noel Dempsey FF, Johnny Brady FF and Damien English FG.

From my reckoning, Fine Gael will be after Brady’s seat as he polled rather badly in the last GE. However, if Dempsey does well on the day, Brady more then likely would be a shoe in from Dempsey’s transfers.

Victor wrote:
    Honestly Cork, you sound just a little upset and perhaps, is it jealous, that FG can do this more than FF, because FG have more MEPs?

If this is the best FG can come up with.

Get their big names to run for the European parliament - bring them home to run for the national parliament.

Perhaps talent within FG so small.

I tought Mayo Enda electricified the party.

Maybe his batteries are running low.

Advertisement