Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is viewing forum?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

I've just noticed that in the last hour the bit at the bottom of the page that says whos vieing the forum is gone, anyone know why?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Clicker happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You bet ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

It has been removed to speed up server performance.

Vex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

6th wrote:
    Who is viewing forum?

Me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Good enough reason, thanks for the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Vexorg wrote:
    It has been removed to speed up server performanc

On trial or permanent...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Vexorg wrote:
    It has been removed to speed up server performance.

Vex

I was going to suggest that when we were talking yesterday. Nice one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

It was nice to see who I knew was online to drop them a PM. Whats next instead of buying a server - we pay Admin a cent per letter we type? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Jaysis, the site is getting taken apart piece by piece LOL One day I will login in and all I will see is the Logo. :(

TheGooner wrote:
    Jaysis, the site is getting taken apart piece by piece LOL One day I will login in and all I will see is the Logo. :(

My thoughts exactly. Great community and all but - no offence - why isnt the Ad money recieved from major companies like Vodafone reinvested if Cloud really has got this long term plan for the site Ive read about?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

It was nice to see who I knew was online to drop them a PM. Whats next instead of buying a server - we pay Admin a cent per letter we type? ;)

i gotta agree, it was nice to see who was floating around, think it added a bit more to it tbh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

We're currently turning on and off features to see what the hell is causing the loads of nearly 100 yesterday on statler.

Currently the menu is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

You can see who's online unless they are using 'invisible mode' then only admin (or mods if the permission is on) can see ya.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

god's toy wrote:
    You can see who's online unless they are using 'invisible mode' then only admin (or mods if the permission is on) can see ya.
    Excellent, now read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hmm no, as that would be too easy.

And thats a question for ya, has the permission been turned on for mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

There is a ton of crap vB has on, but is not needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Sparky-s wrote:
    There is a ton of crap vB has on, but is not needed.

Such as...?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Dub13 wrote:
    Such as...?

Well most is off atm but for example.

Having the Forum Jump Menu switched on

Update Thread Views Immediately switched on

Having the Mailqueue System on, but not locked

Check Thread Rating on

Check Thread Subscription on

I think posts per forum should be tested out at 40 per page for everyone to see the load, and then 20 per page for everyone again to see the load then.

There is the option to have 40 per page disable this and check the load.

The cut off for forum pages should be at 50.

Disable sigs for a week and see what difference it makes.

So will this bit be returning ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It works for moderators so just message Amp and ask to be made mod of his forum* and it'll work for you. It's a quick and dirty hack but at least it works.

*Amp is the only mod who can add more moderators to his own forum, for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

damien.m wrote:
    It works for moderators so just message Amp and ask to be made mod of his forum* and it'll work for you. It's a quick and dirty hack but at least it works.

*Amp is the only mod who can add more moderators to his own forum, for some reason.

You sir, are cruel.

why yes yes he is :rolleyes: :p , so for us mere mortals :rolleyes: will it be returning ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

He was taking the mick there. Mods don't have it either.

Given that it doesn't actually work (it can't, the web is stateless and connectionless, it therefore doesn't know when people have turned closed a tab or window, or that they've opened more than one tab or window and are actually flicking between two forums - and hence it's a rough-guess-at-what-people-might-perhaps-be-looking-at-or-at-least-where-recently-perhaps-maybe feature) it's not much of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Hmmm I miss it... twas handy to know who was hanging around the forum, esp from a mod point of view... I think it should be brought back... How bout a petition rofl?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it was the most pointless feature around but anywho...people complain about boards being slow, they try to make it faster, you complain.
    Waaah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

440Hz wrote:
    Hmmm I miss it... twas handy to know who was hanging around the forum, esp from a mod point of view...
    I agree, it was handy. But I can live without it, espec if it improves overall performance.

Advertisement