Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gates

Options
  • 10-08-2006 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am getting new gates soon and want a bit of advice.
    The timber gate posts are 12'2" apart at their widest and there is about 1.5" of a difference top to bottom.

I would prefer wrought iron gates, 50:50 split, as I do not have the space to have a sliding gate.

They will be manual for the time being, but there is the provisions in place to electrify them into the future.

Has anyone any ideas on the pricing. I was thinking of going to the scrap yard to see if I can pick up a set, but am not sure if there are standard sizes, etc.

Advice & experiences appreciated.

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

prospect wrote:

They will be manual for the time being, but there is the provisions in place to electrify them into the future.

P

Planning to keep away the undesirables in your neighbourhood, huh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

starman100 wrote:
    Planning to keep away the undesirables in your neighbourhood, huh? :D

yeah,

he he he.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bigmick

Well prospect.
    Firstly are your timber posts able to hold the weight of wrought iron gates.
    You may need to get this checked by whomever will fit the gates for you.
    If you want decent heavy gates, make sure to go for something that has been galvanised and maybe best powder coated after that. (all you'll ever do then is wash them)
    Plenty of mickey mouse guys out there will tell you a load of bs and when they start rusting in the winter, they will not be found.
    Where abouts are you living?
    You would pay about 2500 tops for good gates, not common s##t, fitted and all providing your posts are able to hold them.
    Leaving the capability for electrics at a later stage would be a bit more, but not prohibitative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got metal gates in last year,basically the width of the front garden with a 3 way split,4 ft high, he made metal posts for them, buried them and secured to my pillars, all for €600.He used a fairly heavy gauge metal too although they were'nt galvanised, I could have had for extra, probably a lot extra.I'm in Dublin,I'll root out his number if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Can you root out that number?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement