Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag List / Survey / Bank Eval

Options
  • 10-08-2006 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I am buying a new apartment in the city centre, I'm wondering what will i need in terms of getting a Snag List done, Survey (what is involved in a survey?) and a Bank eval?

Any recommendations. What is there difference between all these? Costs?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

A snag list is a list of things that you need finished before you hand over the bank cheque for your new place. There are companies that can do this for you and it costs about €150 or so. If you know anybody who is in the buliding trade or has property knowledge they may also do it for you. A snag list would contain things like a leaky tap, a light not working, marks on a wall.

A survey would be more of a structural examination of a property and would normally be done if its an old or secondhand home. This is not normally needed on a new house.

A bank evaluation is usually needed by your mortgage provider to establish that the house exists and has a value. An estate agent did the last one for me and charged about €100. Doesn't involve much and is a very quick thing.

Also, moving to Accommodation/Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

the property has wood on some of the external walls and a predominantly flat roof (slightly slanted), so just wondering would a structural exam be a good idea.

Its a top floor duplex apartment. (only 3 apartments in the building)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I wouldn't personally as any structural problems would be covered by homebond I would expect, but don't go on what i'd do as I don't need you blaming me when the rain comes pouring in in the Winter ;). Seriously though, that type of survey is pretty unheard of for a new house and would cost a few quid as well i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

homebond is a false prophet sent to tempt you. If you are in any doubt about certain features, spend your money and get a structural survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Hi, BEWARE

Told by a builder friend that Homebond are useless. Their bond is worth less than the paper its printed on. Any problems and you are expected to sort it out yourself.

Get a good structural Engineer. Ask a friend if you dont know one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Structural problems tend to take years to manifest themselves in new buildings- you can have one done for your own peace of mind, but keep in mind that it will likely be peppered with caveats about the survey being on a new building and about lack of access to examine various features. A detailed snag list would be a far more useful port of call for you.

FYI- a structural survey from a qualified engineer can cost anything between 200 and 500 Euro. A snag list will probably be around the 200 mark. The bank evaluation may be paid by your bank (often they do this to attract new mortgage customers- shop around).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nig76

Had the same questions myself and they were explained to me by the guy's I went with to do my snag list. Apparantly any structural defects that are within a new building will be covered up with fresh materials and will take a certain amount of time to show themselves and won't be spotted even in a structural report. Talk to the guys at www.iamashill.ie I had them pestered with questions for ages and they were always very helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nig76 wrote:
    Had the same questions myself and they were explained to me by the guy's I went with to do my snag list. Apparantly any structural defects that are within a new building will be covered up with fresh materials and will take a certain amount of time to show themselves and won't be spotted even in a structural report. Talk to the guys at www.newhomesnag.ie I had them pestered with questions for ages and they were always very helpful.

All depeneds on what items you are talking about.

For example non-structural cracks (cracks that wont cause the beam/slab/wall to fail) in concrete can materialse in hours/days while strcutral crackes can take years.

Both lead to problems. Snaggers need to be able to tell the difference.

But I think that a strctural report on a new home would be a waste of money.

Advertisement