Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'white' witches ?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully not off topic but does the use of "white witch" not sound off to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

bluewolf wrote:
    Hopefully not off topic but does the use of "white witch" not sound off to anyone else?

Why would it? am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It just seems a little... I don't know. White what, like?
    this isn't some anti- something crusade, I'm just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The term white witch really rankles with me tbh.
    I certainly would never use it as I find it to be arrogant, to presume that your motives are always that pure and to label yourself such mean you don't question
    the why and what of that you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Thaedydal wrote:
    The term white witch really rankles with me tbh.
    I certainly would never use it as I find it to be arrogant, to presume that your motives are always that pure and to label yourself such mean you don't question
    the why and what of that you do.

Very interesting, nice to hear from someone who actually knows more than the average joe ;)

Well that is just my opinion.
    I don't see the point of pretending that life nevermind anything else is all sweetness and light and safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

bluewolf wrote:
    I seem to recall that she is indeed white skinned.
    stevenmu wrote:
    The 'white' in white witch refers to her being a 'good' witch as opposed to an evil/dark/black witch.
    Ah. I see. Like Glynda in the Wizard of Oz. Not a term I'd have much time for unless I get to hear some Judy Garland songs.
    stevenmu wrote:
    Such a prefix shouldn't really be nessecary, but I suppose it makes the term 'witch' a little more acceptable to some people.
    Neither the equation of "white" with "good" nor the idea that someone would have the arrogance to say "I am good, everything I do is inherently good" is at all acceptable to me. I'll leave that to kids picking cowboy hats before playing with their toy guns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

<posts moved from the prediction thread, should it be moved on to paganism ?>

stevenmu wrote:
    <posts moved from the prediction thread, should it be moved on to paganism ?>
    Nothing to do with us that I can see.

I keep hearing about this woman, but only ever from cowans. Have yet to hear anything about her from a witch, and at she doesn't seem to be a Pagan witch of any stripe.

Spiritualiy not all witches are pagan.

Talliesin wrote:
    Neither the equation of "white" with "good" nor the idea that someone would have the arrogance to say "I am good, everything I do is inherently good" is at all acceptable to me. I'll leave that to kids picking cowboy hats before playing with their toy guns.
    I've met someone before who reffered to herself as a 'white' witch, the explanation I got (altough not from her directly), was that it was to seperate her from what other people's perceptions of what a plain old witch was, such as the devil worshipping, newt boiling, pointy hat wearing stereotype, or the more modern moody teenager/goth/the craft style stereotype. i.e. she didn't boil children in cauldrons or turn people into frogs or shoot fireballs at them, she would only use 'nice' magic that helps people.

I'm paraphrasing heavily here, I don't really remember it that well as I wasn't very interested at the time, it all seemed a bit wishy-washy fairy-tale-ish at the time (and still does).

(moved to spirituality)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

"white" witch= good
    "black" witch= bad.

We are all shades of grey. Depending on moment and situation the potential for either is there.

I always believe anyone who says they have never even squiffed an eye at someone else is deluding themselves

Seems to saying..hey i am good, please dont drop the kansas farm house on me

Not all pagans are witches either. Its a wide spectrum of individual choice

Perhaps she is just wanting to label and classify to justify to others?. Try doing that with what is good and evil... ijn many instances it depends on viewpoints

I either see it as delf deluding which is dangerous or as pandering.
    What good iw a withc or any practionor if they don't have strength behind thier convictions
    and are not willing to acept responsiblity for all thier actions and the results of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Thaedydal wrote:
    I either see it as delf deluding which is dangerous or as pandering.
    What good iw a withc or any practionor if they don't have strength behind thier convictions
    and are not willing to acept responsiblity for all thier actions and the results of them.

Surely without the strength to put things in motion it wouldn't work anyway?
    however, if it did, it could have all sorts of unforseen consequences i guess as they wouldnt have thought all possible ramifications through.

which would mean that have not taken all due care with what they are doing and people will get hurt and messed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

The only thing I would get from the term "White Witch" was that she promotes good. Most people going to see a witch per say must have some idea what they are about even if the only info they have is from Wizard of Oz.

There is a witch in clonegal county wexford. She does not practice readings anymore. Although you can get tours around her castle. Freakly little town down there. Only ever heard of people saying she was a witch as in she lived by there calendar year etc etc.

Talliesin wrote:

That's kinda what I was getting at, I think.
    I remember someone else saying trying to use "white magic" (I think they actually said that :| ) was like calling a hammer white... it just is and does what you do with it, none of this white/black rubbish.
    Glad I'm not the only one who found it off anyway >.<

kshiel wrote:
    There is a witch in clonegal county wexford. She does not practice readings anymore. Although you can get tours around her castle. Freakly little town down there. Only ever heard of people saying she was a witch as in she lived by there calendar year etc etc.

You are refering to the Fellowship of Isis.
    http://www.fellowshipofisis.com/

And to add to Thaedydal's information, Lady Olivia is neither a witch, someone who calls herself a witch, nor the sort to add "white" to what she is. She does get on perfectly well with witches, and quite a few of her initiates are also witches of various stripes, so she sometimes doesn't bother to correct people who call her a witch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Clearly, a witch of caucasian persuasion. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

bluey, I take it you're on about the white witch of cobh? That's the only "white witch" I know of.

• Advertisement

This was split from the paranormal thread on some white witch woman, check that to see what it's about

Ooops, I forgot to leave in a link to the original thread, sorry.

Advertisement