Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warning motorists

Options
  • 10-08-2006 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

So, after collecting my car from the garage I popped into the petrol station next door to fill up with diesel.
    The car was completely empty (prevents skanger mechanics taking it for a spin), so it took €60 of diesel, (about 55 litres).

I pay the man, and hop in to drive off. But, the fuel guage still reads empty. So, back in and tell them of my problem. The attendent wants none of it and insists there must be a problem with the fuel level indicator. So, back out to the car and I ring the dealer, so they tell me to bring it back to check it. So I tell the attendent of my plan, and go back to the garage. They put it up on the ramp and verify that the tank is completely empty. I get them to ring the filling station to let them know I am not a chancer.

So, back again to the petrol station after that, and it took another 20 minutes to convince them to give me another €60 of diesel....

So drivers, don't assume you got the fuel you paid for. If I had driven away and then noticed the tank hadn't filled, I would have had no recourse.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

name and shame the filling station tbh that's the only way to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye name and shame....

Something I find is that the pumps keep stopping and clicking as I'm trying to fill the car, as if they're saying it's full after only a few euro or sometimes a few cents - really annoys me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

You have to give people more information than that. The only way that gougers will stop doing this is if someone blows the whistle. Don't customs and excise have juristiction with this? You could also get onto the Consumers Association and / or Newspapers etc. They could also check it out.

BTW when you got the refill did you get it from the same pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yo,

Well, the attendants reluctance was due to the fact he had a boss to answer too. So he was probably being careful incase I was running a scam.

It was the Texaco on the Kylemore road, opposite the Sheldon Park hotel.

I was just lucky it is beside Donohues, where my car is serviced, and that they took it in straight away and checked it out for me immediately (and it was pushing 5:30pm), so kudos to them.

No I refilled at a seperate pump, as they had put a 'Out of Use' sign on the original pump.

This is more of a warning for you to check your fuel level before you drive off, as it could have been a genuine mistake on the garages behalf, (although they could have handled it better).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Im sure it was some sort of a mistake. No garage could expect to give no fuel and charge many people €50+ and get away with it.
    Even if you got €10 worth and your tank was empty before hand you would notice it if you got no fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Maybe one of the Skanger mechanics syphoned the diesel off when you went in to pay !!!

With a attitude like that im sorry to hear they believed you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

steve06 wrote:
    ye name and shame....

Something I find is that the pumps keep stopping and clicking as I'm trying to fill the car, as if they're saying it's full after only a few euro or sometimes a few cents - really annoys me!

Pull the nozzle out an inch or two; works for me.

Maybe one of the Skanger mechanics syphoned the diesel off when you went in to pay !!!

If it is not constructive, keep it to yourself.

I have personal experience of many incidents with gargae staff abusing cars that are left with them. And I am talking about different dealers, different manufacturers, etc.
    So my lack of trust is justified.

Another example of a boards user jumping to a conclusion when they have absolutely know knowledge of what they are talking about.

Why dont we ask the decent chaps working in donohues if they consider themselves skangers ! By naming the garage you have implied that the people working there are Skangers and that makes you a fool !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Why dont we ask the decent chaps working in donohues if they consider themselves skangers ! By naming the garage you have implied that the people working there are Skangers and that makes you a fool !!!

Read his post - Donohues is where he brought his car too afterwards to get it checked.

• Advertisement

How does it?
    Did I say all mechanics are skangers?

What I said, if you care to read the post, is that it prevents skanger mechanics from taking it for a spin. i.e. IF the mechanic is a skanger, he/she can't abuse it. I don;t know their mechanics personally, but after alot of bad experiences (NOT IN DONOHUES), I am not taking the risk.

So as I said before;
    Another example of a boards user jumping to a conclusion when they have absolutely know knowledge of what they are talking about.

I was just lucky it is beside Donohues, where my car is serviced,

I did read his post it was a sweeping derogatory statement and the words tar and brush spring to mind !

I did read his post it was a sweeping derogatory statement and the words tar and brush spring to mind !

Look mate, you are talking out your hole in all fairness. You know well that my post did not say all mechanics are skangers, but rather that I dont want my car used by those who are. I don't expect you to back down or apologise now as you have dug yourself in to deep, but do us all a favour and drop it.

You are dragging this post away from its real intention which is to advise people to check their guages before they leave the pumps.

I was just lucky it is beside Donohues, where my car is serviced, and that they took it in straight away and checked it out for me immediately (and it was pushing 5:30pm), so kudos to them.

I notice you ommited the bit I have now included in bold....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

LOL Quick glance and I thought it read "Iamatool"

oh... maybe it does :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

And on the flip side I filled up in a station in Galway last weekend and when I looked at the pump, it read €1.46 - I paid the guy and said I thought there was something wrong with the pump, but he wasn't interested. Fifty quids worth for FREEEEEE....

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

prospect wrote:
    The car was completely empty (prevents skanger mechanics taking it for a spin)

Dude, that is a very general statement no matter what way you look at it. I agree with ismynametoolong that it was a pointless piece of text in the original post. Past experience or not, you are basically implying that the lads in Donohues are possibly skangers and could possibly take your car for a spin. Why I have no idea? Does this actually happen, unless they are testing the car. I would have thought that these days that 'skanger' mechanics wouldn't have the time to go joyriding.

Anyway good point - check your tank before driving off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Mate of mine got a new jag a little while back. Comes with a valet key so whoever you leave the key with can't drive the car over 15mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Drax wrote:
    Dude, that is a very general statement no matter what way you look at it. I agree with ismynametoolong that it was a pointless piece of text in the original post. Past experience or not, you are basically implying that the lads in Donohues are possibly skangers and could possibly take your car for a spin. Why I have no idea? Does this actually happen, unless they are testing the car. I would have thought that these days that 'skanger' mechanics wouldn't have the time to go joyriding.

To be fair, it was quite clear from prospect's post that he had no problem with the garage who serviced the car. He delivered the car to the garage empty, as he said, to prevent skanger mechanics taking it for a spin. This, as I read it, is not a reflection on Donohues, rather a sensible precaution when having any car serviced, anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

some of the new cars have a valve on them, i know the new mondeos do. if you fill them right to the neck it shows empty on the gauge until you do maybe 30 miles and it starts to rise then.

D. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

digweed wrote:
    some of the new cars have a valve on them, i know the new mondeos do. if you fill them right to the neck it shows empty on the gauge until you do maybe 30 miles and it starts to rise then.

D. :p
    Well im guessing he filled the car up again straight away after..

For those trying to say the op said something bad about where he got his car serviced, piss off and stop trolling. Mechanics taking a car for a "spin" is more common than you would think, especially if its an overnight job. Dropping the car in with very little fuel in it is a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've worked in the service side of the motor trade for more than 15 years and, in my experience, it is quite common to take customers cars for a spin. On one occasion I had to sack a mechanic after repeated warnings. So many mechanics take cars to the shop, to lunch, etc without taking into account that the car is somebody elses property, not to mention the fact there could be complications with insurance when a vehicle is taken without permission.

I know a garage where a mechanic used to take a car, on the sly, and head to the pub for a quick pint!!! One day the service manager followed him with a spare key in his pocket and took the car back to the garage when the mechanic was in the pub. The mechanic came back saying he went into the shop and the car was stolen.............. Then he was handed his P45.

Anyway, back on topic - it is a good idea to check you gauge after a fill - just in case.

Prospect, I'm glad to hear Donohues looked after you so quickly at that hour of the evening - it surprises me as I find Donohues useless, but thats my experience.

Drax wrote:
    Dude, that is a very general statement no matter what way you look at it.
    It is general. If a mechanic is a skanger, I don't want him driving my car unless it is for the purpose of testing it. It does not say all mechanics are skangers, and it also does not make any specific reference to Donohues (that was in a later post, where I was complimenting them)
    Drax wrote:
    I agree with ismynametoolong that it was a pointless piece of text in the original post.
    And luckily, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My issue is ismynametoolong's persistance at a point which I feel I adequatly cleared up. Also his/her jumping to a conclusion, and basicly wishing bad luck on me, when he/she is not aware of any of the facts, and made no attempt to learn them.
    Drax wrote:
    Past experience or not, you are basically implying that the lads in Donohues are possibly skangers and could possibly take your car for a spin. Why I have no idea?
    They are possibly skangers, everybody I meet, that I do not know is possibly a skanger. But I also said that I am very happy with the service they provided me.
    Drax wrote:
    Does this actually happen, unless they are testing the car. I would have thought that these days that 'skanger' mechanics wouldn't have the time to go joyriding.
    Yes it does happen, I have already pointed out that I have lots of personal experience of it happening.
    Drax wrote:
    Thanks, that is the purpose of this thread and I wish people would stick to it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

folks - stay on topic and leave the skanger conversation for another thread!

prospect - isn't there an agency who check the pumps? Im sure someone will say who they are.
    There should be a sticker on the pump showing when it was last inspected - have a close look at it.
    Also have a look at the pump tomorrow and see if it is back in action.

Also his/her jumping to a conclusion, and basicly wishing bad luck on me,

Ok Prospect lets just call it a day your obviously feeling paranoid now
    if you think i wished you bad luck !!!

kbannon wrote:
    folks - stay on topic and leave the skanger conversation for another thread!

prospect - isn't there an agency who check the pumps? Im sure someone will say who they are.
    There should be a sticker on the pump showing when it was last inspected - have a close look at it.
    Also have a look at the pump tomorrow and see if it is back in action.

Dont think anybody inspects them. I worked in a filling station for years and nobody ever looked at the pumps. On one pump the you could feel the pressure going off the pipe and the guage would keep goin as normal:confused: Strange. I think people need to keep an eye on things and make sure there not "filling up" more than their tank can hold!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Legal Metrology Service (part of NSAI) checks out petrol pumps regularly.
    http://www.nsai.ie/Legal_Metrology_Service/About_LMS/Who_we_are_and_what_we_do.html

Stephen wrote:
    The Legal Metrology Service (part of NSAI) checks out petrol pumps regularly.
    http://www.nsai.ie/Legal_Metrology_Service/About_LMS/Who_we_are_and_what_we_do.html
    Wow never saw them in three years of work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

prospect wrote:
    So drivers, don't assume you got the fuel you paid for.

I don't. Common sense dictates I watch my fuel indicator shoot up satisfyingly after I fill 'er up. Only a moran wouldn't check, and most car owners on this forum probably hit their trip too.

• Advertisement

your obviously feeling paranoid now
    if you think i wished you bad luck !!!

:rolleyes:

Advertisement