Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Hatred

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

As for dance, I may only love 1 in a thousand dance songs, but I still do love them, DJ Shadow etc. I can't say that about hip hop / rap.

Enough irony there to make the thread collapse. DJ Shadow, the man himself is a Hip-Hop artist. The DJ being one of the main elements of Hip-Hop itself, and while you will get people calling it Trip-Hop, he himself has stated the music he makes is Hip-Hop not Trip-Hop.

DJ Shadow -> RJD2 -> Blockhead -> Fingathing -> DJ Krush -> Shortkut -> The Herbaliser -> Kid Koala -> DJ QBert -> Cut Chemist -> Nu-Mark to name but a few, all Hip-Hop artists, not rappers, but DJs and producers.

Electronic music and Hip-Hop are very similar in certain aspects. Ninja Tune makes this blatantly apparent.

The likes of AiM, Amon Tobin, Four Tet, Coldcut, Prefuse 73 etc, make music that could very easily (and does at times) fall under the Hip-Hop heading.

The problem here is Hip-Hop and Rap are not the same thing. Rap is an element of Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop is not music as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I'm pretty much the only person in my area who doesn't listen to rap. As has been said, every genre gets tarred with a huge brush, and I get a lot of stick, no matter what I listen to. F'rinstance, I'd be listening to Pink Floyd, and people would say it was "wrist slitty" or something, I'd listen to Metallica, and they'd be screaming "aahhh, death motherfooker" etc, yet if I put on Another brick in the wall or Enter sandman, "ah deadly, dat's a savage song."

In my experience, I've found that modern rap (i.e. Eminem, that 50 pence chap) are only listened to by suggestable people, who listen to what the media tell them to listen to, and they like the more popular Floyd or Metallica songs because they feel they can. I absolutely despise rap, because pretty much every "song" that I've heard is either about money(or lack thereof), how tough they are, and can "pop caps in people's asses", bling, low rid-ahs, streets, bev'ly hills etc.
    I don't find it musical at all, because they just dpeak rhythmically, while there's drums and/or some proccessed crap behind them, and come accompannied by ridiculous gestures.

I've explained this to the people I hang out with, who are all rap fans, and it's usually responded with "yeah, slit your wrists!"
    Then when I point out that not _one_ person I listen to talks about that type of thing, yet Eminem does(see Stan), they just nod and go "yeah, well, ahhhh, motherfooker", which only furthers my case.

Bah, I'm ranting, I just despise idiocy.

</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

as mentioned before most of the beats are sound effects as apposed to instruments, i wouldnt go as far as saying that rap/hh is ****, although it's not my cup of tea mainly because most of them sing about sex, violence, money, crime, women, murders, and i look at my sister who is into all these stars, and she probably thinks it normal to hear this tripe, thats my 2c anyway

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think a lot of the problem is due to the 'image'. If we could get back to an purely audio method (eg radio) of dispensing music then more people would see the value of hip-hop and electronica. MTV does more to harm the promototion of good music than it does to help it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Makaveli wrote:
    The problem here is Hip-Hop and Rap are not the same thing. Rap is an element of Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop is not music as such.
    Reading through this I was beginning to wonder if anybody was going to make that distinction.

You say this....
    Sofaspud wrote:
    F'rinstance, I'd be listening to Pink Floyd, and people would say it was "wrist slitty" or something, I'd listen to Metallica, and they'd be screaming "aahhh, death motherfooker" etc, yet if I put on Another brick in the wall or Enter sandman, "ah deadly, dat's a savage song."

and then quite ironically go on to say this....
    Sofaspud wrote:
    I absolutely despise rap, because pretty much every "song" that I've heard is either about money(or lack thereof), how tough they are, and can "pop caps in people's asses", bling, low rid-ahs, streets, bev'ly hills etc.
    I don't find it musical at all, because they just dpeak rhythmically, while there's drums and/or some proccessed crap behind them, and come accompannied by ridiculous gestures.
    You obviously haven't listened to much Hip Hop or Rap so.

Sofaspud wrote:
    I just despise idiocy.
    Yeah me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

nicely put BaZmO*, I was about to make the same point as you. Sofaspud you're just contradicting yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Maybe the hip hop fans here like space cayote, steak and bizmo can offer a few suggestions which would be a good introduction to the genre for those who are unfamiliar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Evil Bilbo, it's Eazy-E not evil e!

Ha - of course it is :o - got a wee bit mixed up with my username there! (evil e being ice-t's dj)

most of the stuff that's out these days under the rap umbrella is not rap - the likes of "take you to the candyshop" - is slow-ass r&b. 50 cent is NOT a rapper. He says stuff slowly and half-sings some stuff. He is muscley, he takes off his top, he got shot (yeah sure). He brings out an album with his shirt off on the cover, and sells millions. Great marketing. Now he's in a semi-autobiographical movie (just like eminem).

Another thing that annoys me is the label R&B - its not even R&B - how did people start calling this slow "bump n grind" muck r&b? Back in the day decent bands like the rolling stones were rhythm and blues (r&b) - how did this graduate to what is called r&b today?

As for the likes of the streets - I hate his guts. usually pretty awful backing music and his effort at "poetry" is sickening - smug "cheeky-chappy" W@ANKAAA. He is the english vanilla ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I don't think I was clear enough. The "idiocy" I was referring to is the modern, popular rap/hip hop that's more commonly known. I have nothing against the older style, that had a message and a bit of meaning, but I believe I've heard enough of the newer crap to judge it as I have. Most people that I know who listen to it only do so because it's popular, and they tend to be closed minded bastards who claim to only like music when they feel they're allowed to by their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

Maybe the hip hop fans here like space cayote, steak and bizmo can offer a few suggestions which would be a good introduction to the genre for those who are unfamiliar with it.
    give a few of these a listen:

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
    Canibus - Rip The Jacker
    Cut Chemist - The Audience's Listening
    Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team
    DJ Format - Music For The Mature B-Boy
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
    Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
    KRS-One - Return Of The Boom Bap
    Mr. Lif - I Phantom
    The Roots - Do You Want More
    The Roots - Phrenology