Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming & NYC

Options
  • 10-08-2006 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

I'm going for a week to NYC to see the sights and soak up the atmosphere. While I'm there, I'm wondering if there are any famous or important games-related spots I should visit? You know, megastores, factories, museums - anything along those lines!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing off the top of my head but if you are into beat'em ups the tournament scene in the arcades is very strong. You could get some excellent opponents in NYC. Many of the indy shops also have stations with DC's and saturns set up and regular tournaments. I also recommend raiding the second hand sections. Some real bargains to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

As retro said, 2nd hand games are pretty cheap. There are reasonably good bargains to be had in most EBs/Gamestops.

Nintendo World on 48th St. near Rockefeller is worth a visit if you're that way inclined.

As for import stores, the only good one I can really remember is J&L just off of Canal st in Chinatown. Really good selection but not the cheapest. That said if you're looking for cheap, I'm sure you'll find some other stuff around Chinatown, *wink* *wink*.

If you like games you way be interested in the MoCCA, Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art. I really enjoyed it, but it's been a while since I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

As retro said, 2nd hand games are pretty cheap. There are reasonably good bargains to be had in most EBs/Gamestops.

Yeah, I saw some shops with some very cheap games, but is it not true that you can't play US console or PC games at home? I'm pretty sure about console games anyway...? I thought it went for DVDs too? If not, i'm gonna do some buying!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC games are fine but for console games you need them to be chipped or have a swap disk. DVDs will work only on multiregion players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Theres a gaming museum in new jersey i get the address in a bit, if your there for a while worth checking out basically a warehouse with every game on every system ever, you can play them too.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    PC games are fine but for console games you need them to be chipped or have a swap disk. DVDs will work only on multiregion players.

Thanks for the info

Just to clarify though, do I need a multi-region player to play DVD movies or games or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Nothing off the top of my head but if you are into beat'em ups the tournament scene in the arcades is very strong.
    If you don't want to be totally owned, stay away from Marvel vs Capcom 2 & Street Fighter III:3rd Strike...

@OP: You need a multi-region player (or a PC:D ) for DVDs, for games you need either a chipped console (technically illegal), a swap disc (just a special disc you chuck in prior to playing, not illegal... IIRC...) OR an import console (used with a step-up/down converter, totally legal).

Ok, so, I can buy any PC games and they won't have a region code attached and i'll be able to play them at home?

I'll just stay away from the consoles :D

Back on topic, the spots that have been mentioned seem pretty interesting, and i'm also going to look into Tekken tournaments to see if they'd have any, although I have to admit i'm a little rusty...!

Advertisement