Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Degree

Options
  • 10-08-2006 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I am trying to find a part time course to start in September but I'm not having much joy...
    I want to get a qualification in programming/software design. Ive seen a course is Trinity, its BSc in Information Systems which looks perfect, I have my name down on a cancellation list for that but at this stage it looks unlikely that Ill get a place... Anyone of any good courses. I know Grifith offer one too but that is a nightmare for me to get to from where I work...

any advise much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Where do you work? What is your background?

Distance / Part-Time forum

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Im in national college of ireland in the IFSC and 2/3 of the students are part time.

Half the college is business and half is IT.

Check it out. www.ncirl.ie or give them a ring.

Id highly recommend it as a college.

Im doind a Bsc in management information systems full time, but it is also available as a part time course.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

kat9182 wrote:
    I am trying to find a part time course to start in September but I'm not having much joy...
    I want to get a qualification in programming/software design. Ive seen a course is Trinity, its BSc in Information Systems which looks perfect

I did that one myself and graduated in 1996. IMHO it's better than their evening Computer Science course which is very theoretical and 'maths and stats' based.

Sadly, people are still quite snobbish, so having a degree from Trinity does wonders for your C.V.

You can also go on from that and do their 2-year nighttime Masters MSc in IT Management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

a tiny bit late ....... i know:D:D:D:D:D is that degree in Bsc in management information systems any good. What kind of job would you except from it??????

a tiny bit late ....... i know:D:D:D:D:D is that degree in Bsc in management information systems any good. What kind of job would you except from it??????
    It all depends on what you want in an IT career.

I've worked with plenty of excellent unqualified programmers in the UK, one of which only had two 'O' levels (roughly the same as our Inter Cert).

What I will tell you is that there are two entirely different lanes with IT - business (analysts, P.M.s, etc) and technical (programmers, testers).

Make sure you get into whatever lane you want early as it can be almost impossible to change track once you get branded with a particular skill-set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Your probably aware of the cost but just in case your not, Trinity Bsc. evening courses (CS and IT) come in at about €6000 a year these days so unless you can get your work to pay for some of it your talking about €24,000 for the degree.
    Sorry if you knew that already OP but I just thought I'd say it in case as it gave me a bit of a shock when I found out.

stagolee wrote:
    Sorry if you knew that already OP but I just thought I'd say it in case as it gave me a bit of a shock when I found out.
    Yes, but it's tax deductable at the lower rate of PAYE.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is 3600 a year in NCI,which as far as evening degrees go is quite expensive.

I would recommend NCI for its evening courses,they are not the best organised college but classes are small and complaints are listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

The DIT part-time degree is one of the cheapest and offers a nice mix of programming as well as project management.

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dt249/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Also DIt Bolton Street do DT037 which is a part-time night degree course. it is the real deal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sorry for the hi-jack but Man, what do you know about DT037? I'm thinking about doing it in September and I'd like to know if it's worth anything.

Advertisement