Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kayak - Perception overflow - opinions?

• 10-08-2006 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to look at a second-hand kayak tomorrow eve (Friday). I don't really know anything about kayaks so any input on this one would be nice. I'm just looking to go for nice easy, relaxing trips on the liffey/canal for the moment. The price is €350. Does that sound reasonable? (although I'm not sure yet what age it is or what condition it's in so I guess that will be a factor!).

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

try out a few first,I only took it up a few months ago and don' t know much besides what Ilike the feel of paddling.
    personally I hate perceptions and love inazones,alot of the lads have daggers.
    check out irishfreestyle.com for stuff for sale.
    Hvae you completed a course or joined a club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks for the input Moonbeam.

Hmmm.. I don't really think I'm into those short, stocky type kayaks (I think the term is PlayBoat?). I just want something to float around a nice calm rivers/canals/lakes. Although, from what I've read the Pyranha Inazones do seem like a good boat. That website seems to regularly have Inazone 232's for sale for around €500 but, as I said, not sure if that's the style of boat for me.

What type of kayaking do you do yourself and what don't you like about the Perceptions?
    Hvae you completed a course or joined a club?

I'm not really a courses/clubs sort of person to be honest. I have been kayaking several times so I'm not totally new to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks nookie and welcome to Boards! (*cough* leave now while you still can! I can help you escape but only if you leave now ;) ).

Doh! I got the Perception Overflow Corsica in the end but I'm very happy with it; And the guy seemed very sound and friendly so I wasn't too worried about being ripped off.

Yeh, took about 10 minutes to get used to paddling in a straight line (which is something I was always easily able to do in the old fibreglass boats). Probably would take me 10 weeks in an inazone!! I've also since gotten my hands on a Dancer for the missus. I was lucky enough to get a semi-indefinite loan of it from an old friend of mine so didn't have to splash out any more cash for the moment. That seems like a nice boat too.. Although it seems like hard work to paddle either of them any distance, even on the canal, but I'm sure I'll get used to that in time.

I imagine an old, streamlined fibreglass boat would be much quicker and easier to paddle but I don't want to be limited to flatwater forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement