Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux and Images

• 10-08-2006 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Be warned this question comes from the merky mind of a confused n00b! :-)

Ok I got a new laptop (IQon) the other day and I decided to do a backup of the fresh copy of XP (unfortunately home) on it. I have used Knoppix of System Rescue CD before and used partimage to create images before no problem. But this time there was a problem it said it was not able to write to the partition. I was logged in as super user and the partition is FAT-32 so Im confused as to what the source of the issue is. Could the HDD be locked by the manufacturer?

PDD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You should be able to write to FAT32, but not to NTFS as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Was there a more detailed error?
    Do those iQons come with a partition with the backup image? Do you have a copy of XP made/with the laptop? (Sorry-it's unclear from your post)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of important info. Yep the partition is definately FAT-32 and the wierd thing is I cant even write to it from the likes of a live CD such as Knoppix which is very strange.

Karoma Yep ti appears to have a 3Gb+ partition at the start that has an image file on it. I haven't read all the documentation to be honest so Im not so sure about restoring the image. No XP disks or anything so I presume thats all on the partition.

Advertisement