Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 water bottles, where to put the pump?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Annoying dilemna here.
    Whilst going for longer spins (anything over 70km really) I prefer to take 2 water bottles which results in my not having a place for the tyre pump.
    Both sets of holes on the frame are used for the bottle cages.
    I've been rubber-banding my pump onto the frame but this is awkward.
    Theorectically i should be able to attach a bottle cage AND the bracket for my tyre pump onto the same set of holes, however the screws are not long enough for this.

What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Get longer screws.
    From the bike shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

They'd carry those?
    It's a hassle going down there.
    Seems every screw i've taken out of a bike frame is always the same length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Get a small camelbak. I presume you are a roadie and so probably don't have one... but it'd work better. Phone, money, pump, water, multitool, keys, food. Everything in the bag, no hassle. They are not all mad rucksacks, some are very small.

The Great Outdoors has a good selection. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Yes, you can get bottle cage bolts in various lengths. It doesn't sound too urgent so just wait until you're passing a bike shop sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

you can get small pumps that go underneath your bottle cage and then you can put your bootle cage screw over it...very hard to explain but go into a cycling shop and ask them, and you will see....or even look at other cyclists on the road as most racing bikes have them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if you have a full length pump, get one that fits your top tube.

if you have a mini one, put it into one of your jersey pockets, along with the spare tube and tyre levers

Thanks for the suggestions.
    -I have my doubts about the camelback, just don't fancy the extra friction / sweat that will produce.
    -Was originally looking for a type of bottle cage that has built-in, 2 rubber fasteners for holding the tyre pump, but had no luck finding one online.
    -Jersey i wear doesn't have any pockets (not actually designed or sold as a cycle jersey however i find the material does a better job then "cycle jerserys"...bar the no pockets thing) Everything else is stowed (crammed) in the saddle bag.
    Anyway i'll look for longer screws at a few bike shops, but will take one w/ me so if i don't find one there, maybe Woodies DIY will have a screw w/ the same thread or somethng.

Could turn out to be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I'd never put my pump anywhere other than a jersey pocket. Reason being is that if its on the frame, it inevitably gets mucky, dirty, rusty and doesnt work so well anymore. Plus, one or two have hopped off on descents without me noticing...

I'd never put my pump anywhere other than a jersey pocket. Reason being is that if its on the frame, it inevitably gets mucky, dirty, rusty and doesnt work so well anymore. Plus, one or two have hopped off on descents without me noticing...

Yeah, water destroys those things alright.
    Keep mine wrapped up tight in a plastic bag. Had it pop outa the bracket alright, but never when i tie it to the frame by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

smithslist wrote:
    you can get small pumps that go underneath your bottle cage and then you can put your bootle cage screw over it
    My Topeak Master Blaster Mini Pump came with a bracket that fit under the bottle cage. I didn't need to get different bolts.
    It also has a velcro strap to ensure that the pump won't fall out and a cap over valve hole to prevent dirt getting in. A great, compact pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Most mini pumps are designed to fit under the bottle cage; longer screws are all you need if it doesn't.

Bike shop was saying the screws are of a standard length and didn't have any longer ones.
    However he was also saying it should work regardless and asked me what sort of bottle cage do i have.
    Infact i never bought either of these bottle cages, rather i just recycled (looted) both of them off abandoned bikes (or the remanents of bikes). So i bought a new bottle cage and now it works with the existing screws.
    Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

put it in your arse pocket

Advertisement